Sadie Rawlings

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor

Sadie Rawlings is a junior and a co-associate editor of The Bird Feed staff this year as she was formerly the online editor. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions. In addition to writing for the Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways. Most people would describe Sadie as dedicated, bold, and organized; it’s her goal to do everything to her best ability and to take challenges head-on.

Feel free to contact her at @SadieRBirdFeed or [email protected]

Dirt roads and pretty girls. One of the genres of music on the rise is Country Music. Country music has deep roots in the South where it is the main center of inspiration for the genre. Top artists for this genre include Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Sam Hunt, and Zach Brown Band.

A hot take on the country genre

Sadie Rawlings and Grace Drawdy May 4, 2020

Country music is the heartbeat of America. Built on pillars of American nationalism and roots of hard work and determination, country music is one of the staples of not only the South, but the nation that...

Continue Reading
Sophomore Ethan Underwood, a starter on Varsity Basketball, faces his last game of the season at McEachern. He was a leading scorer in the game, scoring multiple three-point shots. Playing against McEachern players was a challenge, but we were prepared for it. Underwood replied to the sweet-sixteen game.

Varisty Boys Basketball Sweet Sixteen at McEachern

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor March 12, 2020

Varsity Boys basketball starters junior Kohl Harris, senior Nate Hammond, sophomore Ethan Underwood, senior Thomas Stocks, and junior Devon Mcglockton run onto the court to shake hands with the referees...

Continue Reading
Taking Charge. Freshman Drew Bramwell faces off in the game against West Forsyth. Bramwell crossed over the guard to lead the way to the basket.

Freshman Boys Basketball Recap

The South Forsyth Freshman Boys began their season in November with an away game at Johns Creek followed by a home game at Centennial. The SOFO boys played the majority of their games...

Continue Reading

[Photo] Shourya Arashanapalli

September 23, 2019

Continue Reading
A day to honor the veterans that have served. The first Veterans day was observed on October 25, 2019. This Veterans day Sergeant McClinton came to speak to U.S. History classes about his service and memories as an Army Ranger.

Staff Sergeant Jacob McClinton shares his service as an Army Ranger

Sadie Rawlings and Kayleigh Emberton November 20, 2019

U.S. history classes file into the seats of the Performing Arts Center (PAC) as they await a special visit from an American veteran. As the presentation begins, the student-helpers instruct the students...

Continue Reading
Captivating Crew. DECA members arrive early to A Magical Morning to prepare for the upcoming families. Julia Bradley and Sarah MacAllaster planned for months as volunteers gathered supplies, bought costumes, and created decorations.

A Magical Morning

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor November 19, 2019

As the Frozen soundtrack played softly in the background, little Jedis and princesses walked through the cafeteria doors at Piney Grove Middle School as volunteers dressed in various character costumes...

Continue Reading

Adventures of Staying at Home

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor October 14, 2019

The warm sun settles through the open curtains, the chirping of birds resonates throughout the bedroom, the memory of a long-awaited Netflix binge settles in one’s mind. Excitement buzzes through the...

Continue Reading
Cathedral of Barcelona. The Catholic church is an important part of Spanish culture which is represented by the architecture found in the country. Traveling to different regions allows one to broaden their cultural perspective.

Point counterpoint: Staycation vs. Vacation

Kate Haas and Sadie Rawlings September 27, 2019

As school break approaches, students share their exciting plans. Some students pack up to travel to a new area while others spend their homework free time with friends. Whether staying at home or venturing...

Continue Reading
Happy half-time. The students ran up to the sides of the make-shift field in order to pet the puppies. After the game, students lined up to meet the players.

An “Oppawtunity” for success at the Puppy Bowl

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor September 25, 2019

On a windy day on South Forsyth’s football field, several unconventional players warm-up for the next home game. Teachers, students, admin, and Mr. Jeff White in a referee uniform, wait patiently on...

Continue Reading
Chilling in the cafe. The culinary students work so hard to make the cafe an enjoyable experience for everyone. The Chef dedicated a lot of time to the cafe and making it as professional as possible. I work with Chef, and I know she puts a lot of effort into the programs, so I hope people  love [the cafe] as much as she does, says junior Dawn Tomasko.

585 Cafe

Grace Drawdy and Sadie Rawlings September 17, 2019

Along with the addition of FlexTime during the student’s school time, the culinary pathway opened up an all-new coffee shop: The 585 Cafe. The 585 Cafe is South’s on-campus “Starbucks” that...

Continue Reading

DECA Tailgate

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor August 28, 2019

Surrounded by red, green, yellow inflatables and the savor of Jim 'N Nick's barbeque wafting through the air, students celebrate the beginning of the 2019 football season. DECA, a co-curricular marketing...

Continue Reading
Maggie Craig

[Photo] Maggie Craig

July 19, 2019

Continue Reading

[Photo] Brantley Jenkins

July 10, 2019

Continue Reading

[Photo] Naisha Roy

July 5, 2019

Continue Reading
Clori Rose-Geiger

[Photo] Clori Rose-Geiger

July 21, 2019

Continue Reading

[Photo] Shreya Mishra

July 6, 2019

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading

[Photo]

Continue Reading
GRACE STAFF PHOTO

[Photo]

Continue Reading
Refreshing into the new year. Before the time came to go home, students and teachers gathered outside to enjoy an icy popsicle to cool off their amazing day. As friends and faculty conversed, the social was energized with current and trendy music.

[Photo] Kicking off first day festivities

The Bird Feed Staff August 12, 2019

Refreshing into the new year. Before the time came to go home, students and teachers gathered outside to enjoy an icy popsicle to cool off their amazing day. As friends and faculty conversed, the social...

Continue Reading
Maintenance is important. Everyday during sixth period, seventh period, and after school the baseball coach works hard to maintain the fields around campus. After talking with Mr. Pileggi, Coach Bayer decided to start this new class that will capture the interests of many students at South. I am really looking forward to drawing it, says Coach Bayer. I think it is going to be a really cool thing. Being in the Southeast not only sport facilities, but golf courses are very big.

[Photo] Turf management maintains an important role in society

Kayleigh Emberton, Senior Editor April 9, 2019

Maintenance is important. Everyday during sixth period, seventh period, and after school the baseball coach works hard to maintain the fields around campus. After talking with Mr. Pileggi, Coach Bayer...

Continue Reading
Helpful, sweet, kind. These puppies are making a difference; they go from being only a couple months old at a school to 2 years old, helping someone who needs them. On Wednesdays during lunch, these puppies have greeted students in the atrium.

[Photo] Therapy dogs in South Forsyth High School

Kayleigh Emberton, Senior Editor April 30, 2019

Bunny sits patiently. She calmly wags her tail at the sight of four teenagers smiling at at her. Bunny was one of the older dogs there on Wednesday but she was still able to greet everyone with a lot of...

Continue Reading
Cooking delicious meal. Making a vegetarian meal is sure to please the people in your friend group or impress your date on the big night.

[Photo] How to impress your prom date with dinner

Alyssa Freyman and Sadie Rawlings April 12, 2019

Continue Reading
Chalked up. Hundreds of students write the goals that they hope to accomplish before they graduate. Each student wrote a different response that eventually covered the entire wall. We had hoped that the chalk wall would allow people to think outside the box and create some goals for themselves for them to accomplish before they graduate, Anvitha Bommenini, a sophomore yearbook student, explained.

[Photo] Chalking it up to new dreams

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor April 16, 2019

Chalked up. Hundreds of students write the goals that they hope to accomplish before they graduate. Each student wrote a different response that eventually covered the entire wall. "We had hoped that the...

Continue Reading
Literacy Day on display. Tuesday, March 12 marked the day South Forsyth High School partook in a day surrounding academic discourse and its importance in the classroom environment. Many classes participated in Socratic Seminars and class discussions.

[Photo] More than a day for books: SFHS Literacy Day

Literacy Day on display. Tuesday, March 12 marked the day South Forsyth High School partook in a day surrounding academic discourse and its importance in the classroom environment. Many classes participated...

Continue Reading
Beauty is pain. Claires and Justice makeup may contain asbestos, particles which are known to be linked to lung cancer. The stores had to recall their products in response to the accusations- a worse hit to an already failing business.

[Photo] Asbestos found in Claire’s and Justice Makeup Products

Naisha Roy and Shreya Mishra March 15, 2019

Beauty is pain. Claire's and Justice makeup may contain asbestos, particles which are known to be linked to lung cancer. The stores had to recall their products in response to the accusations- a worse...

Continue Reading
Future Freshmen. Students all over the county are choosing their classes for the upcoming year. The eigth-graders had the opportunity to select which classes they are going to take their first year in high school. “It was so fun and cool to walk in the high school, said Angela, a middle-schooler from Lakeside. I hope I have a good time in it.

Tips for rising Freshman: an interview with Mrs. MacAllaster

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor March 5, 2019

Class registration is beginning, and the 2019-2020 school year is right around the corner. As freshmen, it is important to make the right decisions to start a high school career with the right balance....

Continue Reading
Next generation. Students from Lakeside Middle School end their tour at the Silent Disco. They had to opportunity to enjoy a part of Souths culture before they enroll next year. “I enjoyed the tour and getting to see the school. The tour guide was friendly and showed us everything we wanted to see.” an eigth-grader from Lakeside, Cate Lee responded.

Welcoming the new generation of Eagles

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor March 1, 2019

A mass of 8th graders stepped off the precipice of middle school and entered the threshold of a whole new world: high school. Some braved the steps into the PAC with their heads high, ready for whatever...

Continue Reading
Dont crack under pressure. Students strive to give the best care for their egg babies to give them the best childhood. They scramble to get every part of the project done. Neomi Mendoza, a junior, replied, The egg project has been a fun experience.

Cracking parenting: AP Psych students raise “egg” babies

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor February 8, 2019

225 babies are born each minute; in this case, however, it’s the AP Psych kids’ baby eggs. As they carefully prepare each egg, students tenderly carry colorful boxes and tins filled with fabric and...

Continue Reading
On pointe. South Forsyth has begun their inagural season for their dance team. Twelve girls compete in a range of dance competitions for the school. Sophomore Sloane Womac commented, I love dancing for South Forsyth because I can finally share my passion for dance with my school.

An Interview with Sloane Womac

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor January 30, 2019

Q: When did you start dancing and how did you discover your love of dance? A: I started dancing when I was three years old, and I discovered my love for dance when I performed in my first dance recital....

Continue Reading

College is necessary

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor December 10, 2018

Most Americans believe in the American Dream of wealth, prosperity, and success both professionally and personally. From birth, children are raised to educate themselves in order to obtain success in their...

Continue Reading
Currently, 69.7 percent of high school graduates enroll in a college or university. Less than 40 years ago, that number was only 50 percent.

Point-counterpoint: Is college worth it?

Sadie Rawlings and Kate Haas December 5, 2018

The bell rings and a sea of students race out of the school's doors. Each year, millions of seniors flock out of the high school hallways, never to return, and are left with the decision to head to college...

Continue Reading
Sweet victory. South Forsyth basketball travelled to Lanier during their season. The JV boys were consistent in their game, and ended up defeating the Boys JV Lanier team. Whenever Im playing basketball, I always try to put the team before myself because winning as a team is more important than losing playing for yourself. Nathan Moore, a sophomore player stated.

Court-side victory: Taking on Lanier

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor December 1, 2018

On November 29th, the South's JV basketball team traveled to Gwinnett County to play Lanier. Within the first quarter, the boys were up significantly from the Longhorns, and by half-time, they were beating...

Continue Reading
Seasonings greetings. South Forsyth High School culinary students work in the kitchen to prepare meals for Thanksgiving. Each meal is specially prepared and labelled with each ingredient and allergen. We list the top ten allergens, Chef Martin said, and if they have any other concerns, we address those too.

Thanksgiving dinner: Catering dietary restrictions

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor November 19, 2018

The aroma of freshly baked dinner rolls and sweet potatoes baked in brown sugar fill the kitchen on Thanksgiving day. Pumpkin spice lines the countertops, ready to be poured into the buttery, flaky crust...

Continue Reading

Varsity Boys Basketball Map

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor November 12, 2018

The South Forsyth War Eagles face tough competitors during the upcoming 2018-2019 season lasting from November to February. Lowry Hicks, a varsity basketball player commented, "I'm really excited...

Continue Reading

Media skewing opinions

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor November 7, 2018

On this wide expanse of a network through newspapers, websites, television, social media, and other platforms, only the loudest voices can be heard. Those with the largest amount of followers are the...

Continue Reading
Feelin Peachy. Georgia voter walks out after casting their ballot. Because of the recent midterm election, several voters have been using the media to encourage others to go vote.

[Photo] Point-Counterpoint: Media Influencing the masses

November 2, 2018

Feelin' Peachy. Georgia voter walks out after casting their ballot. Because of the recent midterm election, several voters have been using the media to encourage others to go vote.

Continue Reading
German foreign exchange, Lara Herrmann, gives a presentation to the journalism class on the popularity of Schlager Music in Germany.

German students take on SFHS

Students arrive at the Atlanta airport, 4,671 miles away from their homes in Leipzig, Germany. This is their first tour of America, visiting Washington, D.C. a couple of weeks before. They meet their student...

Continue Reading
Taft Hilton, a varsity football player, runs the track at South Forsyth to warm up before practice.

Finding the common factor between Football and Marching Band

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor September 14, 2018

One breath, another, and another. The trumpeter blows his horn as he marches across the field. The football player breathes in and out before running to the tackle. The ballerina lets a breath out before...

Continue Reading