An Interview with Sloane Womac

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Interview with Sloane Womac

On pointe. South Forsyth has begun their inagural season for their dance team. Twelve girls compete in a range of dance competitions for the school. Sophomore Sloane Womac commented,

On pointe. South Forsyth has begun their inagural season for their dance team. Twelve girls compete in a range of dance competitions for the school. Sophomore Sloane Womac commented, "I love dancing for South Forsyth because I can finally share my passion for dance with my school."

Sent by Sloane Womac

Sent by Sloane Womac

Sent by Sloane Womac

Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

Q: When did you start dancing and how did you discover your love of dance?

A: I started dancing when I was three years old, and I discovered my love for dance when I performed in my first dance recital. I did a ballet dance with some of my closest friends from my dance studio, and I loved being able to perform in front of my friends and family. I also loved being able to express myself differently than I ever had before.

Q: What encouraged you to join the dance team?
A: I have always wanted to find a way to be more involved at my school and participate in athletics. When South announced that they were going to have an official dance team that would compete, I couldn’t wait to audition. Getting to be on the dance team during its inaugural season, and along with my friends and family of course, really encouraged me to join the dance team.

Q: What kind of relationship do you have with your team?
A: My relationship with my team is very positive. Everybody encourages one another, and we always help each other out. I love being to have such a supportive and hardworking team.  We always start our practices off talking about what works well and how we can improve together. We always contribute to our team discussions and help each other when we don’t understand a specific part of our dance or combination of steps.

Q: What are your goals for dance and where do you want it to take you?
A: I’d love to be able to have a successful first season and win at our competitions, and then I would love to continue dancing for as long as I possibly can. Dance is very important to me and also such a huge part of my life that I would love to be able to travel and dance wherever I go. 

Q: How do you participate in the competitions and what kind of dance is your favorite?
A: We have three different dances that we compete with. All of them are exactly 2 minutes long and full of energy; we have a Pom dance, hip hop dance, and jazz dance. We compete against other schools at dance competitions all around Georgia. My favorite dance we do is hip hop because it is so much fun to perform and the amount of energy we have is through the roof. Hip hop also challenges me to dance differently than I normally do.

Q: Who has been your greatest encouragement in dance?
A: My greatest encouragement in dance has been my teammates. We always work together and lift each other up; we also push each other to be the best we can be. When we don’t understand a certain step or combination of steps, we help each other by explaining it. We also cheer each other on before we perform or compete.  

About the Writer
Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

Sadie Rawlings is sophomore and a new member of The Bird Feed staff this year. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions or spends time at home watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. In addition to writing for The Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways where she writes about her passions for food, fitness, and fun. She loves to find new recipes and test them out, especially southwest salads. Most people would describe...