• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

Filed under News, Showcase

German students take on SFHS

German+foreign+exchange%2C+Lara+Herrmann%2C+gives+a+presentation+to+the+journalism+class+on+the+popularity+of+Schlager+Music+in+Germany.++
German foreign exchange, Lara Herrmann, gives a presentation to the journalism class on the popularity of Schlager Music in Germany.

Sadie Rawlings

Sadie Rawlings

Students arrive at the Atlanta airport, 4,671 miles away from their homes in Leipzig, Germany. This is their first tour of America, visiting Washington, D.C. a couple of weeks before. They meet their student hosts from South Forsyth High School and take a bus to the high school. American high school is a new concept to them, new stores intrigue them and different dishes of American food amaze them. They welcome the new atmosphere and are ready to discover the American culture.

Following the brief welcome of the German students was an opportunity for them to share with classes German topics they had formed a passion for. Currently, the exchange students are taking a break from presenting due to the immense requests received from teachers for them to present in classes. Instead of giving the normal presentation they are getting baseball lessons from Coach Beyer. Topics they plan to present in classes include their daily lives in Germany, and even specific subjects, like Schlager, an increasingly popular genre of pop music in Germany, and Haribo, a delicious German gummy bear that is globally known. By sharing a bit of their life with students, they hope to find a place in the school, feel safe, and slowly become integrated in class discussions and activities, where they have a voice and are open with other students.

“For the German students to come here, our goal here is to make them feel welcome, but also to show them how a big a school works,” Ms. Legall, department chair of World Languages and the coordinator of the exchange, explains. “They live with American families, so it’s about learning what the American life is like, and for our students when they go, the South students will experience the same thing in Germany. Students won’t experience the German country as a tourist, and that’s the biggest difference.”

“while it’s about exchanging the language, it’s really about getting to know each others culture and fostering more of a global understanding of other cultures.””

— Ms. Legall

“They [the german exchange students] come with an open mind,” Ms. Legall goes on to say. “I’m always amazed at the flexibility to take someone in and to adjust to a different life on such short notice.”

South Forsyth has the honor of hosting a group of 14 students and 2 teachers from Musikalisch-Sportliches Gymnasium Leipzig, its partner school from Leipzig, Germany. Most of these students are around 10th or 11th grade, and a majority of them are interested and talented in areas of music and singing. Also, as a part of the exchange program, 14 of South’s students, who are enrolled in German classes, will each host their own exchange partners for that time. Our students include Laila De Jong, Keelyn Bergdahl, Lani Kelly, Maggie Lonsway, Taylor Fries, Josh Allen, Olivia Zeitlin, Taylor James, Mary Claire Toms, Rafferty Gifford, Wilian Botta, Elena Benatti, Robbie Paltz, and Jacob Zorko, alongside their teachers, Steffi Legall-Riddle and Jonas Strecker. These students will accompany their chosen German partners from October 4th to the 21st. During this time, the German students will also get to show presentations related to German life to sevral classes at South. Additionally, the two German exchange teachers, who accompanied their students, will also be to learning more about our country’s educational system and our school by observing our classes.

One of the students who volunteered to host a German student (Alina Rustes) is Laila De Jong who says the reasoning behind the exchange was to have German students experience the American culture while American students can experience the German culture.

to have German students experience the American culture while American students can experience the German culture.”

— Laila De Jong

Alina has been by Laila’s side, shadowing her and experiencing her classes as well as experiencing the world outside of South Forsyth High School. The reason she wanted to be a host for a German student was to learn more about their culture and how German teenagers act.

“The experience was so much fun. It was the best decision ever,” said De Jong.

Alina Rusters also explaines how “she enjoys the food, especially the Chick-fil-a fries and sauce, and loves to meet the new people and experience the American culture.”

While Alina and Laila are having a blast together and becoming close friends, the German students are set to leave on Sunday, October 21. The fun experience they’ve had together show that all cultures can intermingle and learn from one another.  While Alina enjoyed staying with Laila, she’s excited to go home and see her family and friends again.

An interview with Lara Hermann, an exchange student

While presenting about German pop music to the Journalism staff, we had the chance to engage in a question/answer session with Lara Hermann.

Lara Hermann answers questions about her life in Germany and how it is different from her experiences at South Forsyth.

Q: What do you miss the most about Germany?

A: I really miss the dark bread which is available for purchase everywhere in Germany.

Q: How are teenagers in Germany similar and different to those here?

A: Teenagers in Germany and the U.S are similar because we are all just teenagers. However, we are different based on how the lessons are given. For example, in Germany, we are not allowed to use our phones in class while students at South are allowed to text in class. In the U.S, teenagers travel with their parents to places like school; whereas, in Germany, we go out on our own in transit, the railway system. German teenagers are less reliable on their parents since there are more means of public transport everywhere.

Q: What is the biggest difference in your school and the schools here?

A: Along, with not being allowed to use phones in our school, one of the biggest differences is the sizes of the schools here. The schools here are bigger and harder to get around than in Germany.

Q: Here in the U.S, we have popular singers and stores. In Germany, do you have similar singers, music or stores?

A: In Germany, we listen to American or German music on the radio. Some of the stores we have there are just like the ones in America However, we do not have many fast food restaurants like Chick-Fil-A or Chipotle.  

Q: How is the school system in Germany?

A: Students start at Elementary School which is from first to fourth grade. After elementary school, students grades are considered and those with higher grades go to High School, while the ones with lower grades go to Middle School. The High School, known as Gymnasium, is from fifth to twelfth grade, and the Middle School (translated name) is from fifth to tenth grade.

Q: What is your favorite American food you have had so far?

A: My favorite food so far is Mac and Cheese. I have never eaten it until I got here.

About the Contributors
Shreya Mishra, Social Media Lead

Shreya Mishra is a freshman at South Forsyth High School, and is exceptionally excited to be working on the journalism staff this year. She enjoys creative writing, opinion writing, and photography. Out of school, she is an extremely passionate dancer of 7 years, and an artist since she could write. Shreya has won many competitions for public speaking, and plans to grow her debating and speech-giving throughout school. When she grows up, Shreya wants to go into business marketing or journalism. She...

Minakshi Shivananda, Staff Writer

Minakshi Shivananda is a freshman at South Forsyth High School and is taking on her first year at The Bird Feed. Minakshi enjoys listening to music, hanging out with her friends, and watching soccer games. She is actively involved in piano and tennis and finds these activities a good way to recover from a long day of school. In her pastime, watching shows on Netflix with her family make the perfect night. She believes that laughter is the best medicine and can brighten up the worst day. Some of her...

Olivia Waletzke, Social Media Lead

Olivia is a freshman at South and new to the journalism crew! Writing is a huge passion of hers so the Journalism group is a dream come true for her. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and adores meeting new people to talk to. Olivia was born in a suburb outside Chicago and is a definite Midwesterner. She likes watching John Hughes movies and listening to music. Olivia has a deep passion for traveling and just recently traveled to Japan over the summer of 2018. Olivia is into fashion. You will...

Shree Delwadia, Social Media Lead

Shree is a freshman here at South. “Life is short, and so is she; so she makes the best out of it.” She lives by this quote everyday. If you run into her, you will find her laughing and smiling, stirring up new conversations. She loves embracing her passion for leading by always helping others. Her friends would describe her as dependable, ambitious, and warm-hearted. Shree has strong interests for the medical field which combine her passions of healthcare and assisting others. She aspires to...

Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

Sadie Rawlings is sophomore and a new member of The Bird Feed staff this year. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions or spends time at home watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. In addition to writing for The Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways where she writes about her passions for food, fitness, and fun. She loves to find new recipes and test them out, especially southwest salads. Most people would describe...