Welcoming the new generation of Eagles

Sadie Rawlings

Next generation. Students from Lakeside Middle School end their tour at the Silent Disco. They had to opportunity to enjoy a part of South’s culture before they enroll next year. “I enjoyed the tour and getting to see the school. The tour guide was friendly and showed us everything we wanted to see.” an eigth-grader from Lakeside, Cate Lee responded.

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor

A mass of 8th graders stepped off the precipice of middle school and entered the threshold of a whole new world: high school. Some braved the steps into the PAC with their heads high, ready for whatever might come their way, whereas others shielded their faces and averted their gaze as they spotted the edifice of South Forsyth High School.

A new generation of War Eagles visited campus; students from Lakeside Middle School, South Forsyth Middle, and Piney Grove Middle had to opportunity to tour their future school. Graduating in 2023, these middle-school students got to taste a bit of high school life as they walked from the Marketing building all the way to East Hall as the tour guide discussed the student life and classes offered. The students sported timid looks as they slowly filed into the PAC to have an introductory slideshow by Ms. MacAllaster to discuss the number of credits they need to graduate and the types of classes they should be taking.

Future aeries. Sierra Wamsley and Kate Haas gave the South Forsyth Middle School students tours around the high school. They will be Freshmen attending in the 2019-2020 school year.

Some students were eager with questions about lunch time and fascinated with the bustle of students as they switched for classes; others were shocked at the height and facial hair of the seniors roaming the halls. The tour guides were ready to answer the questions that these middle schools had been anxiously waiting to ask, such as where to go when you check out or how much time is there between classes. High school is different from middle school because students are given more freedoms and have the opportunity to control their schooling more than they could in eighth grade. 

It’s cool to learn about the school and the pathways. I’m really excited to start.

— Carsyn Fink, an eighth-grader from Lakeside Middle School

The upcoming class is going to have a unique experience as they are the first class to start the academy program at South and be able to complete a whole academy by the time they graduate; there are high expectations for the students. On these tours, they learned all about what it means to be a War Eagle.