Literacy Day on display. Tuesday, March 12 marked the day South Forsyth High School partook in a day surrounding academic discourse and its importance in the classroom environment. Many classes participated in Socratic Seminars and class discussions.

Sadie Rawlings

More than a day for books: SFHS Literacy Day

March 12, 2019

Posters and wallpapers decorated the hallways advocating for Literacy Day on March 12th. Teachers and students have been preparing for this day to come, and now spectators are visiting classrooms and watching students and teacher engage with each in academic activities. Many teachers stray from their normal style of teaching and provide activities for the students to utilize teamwork and discussion. Students share and evaluate their assignments while other teachers complete their own critiquing worksheets to figure out better ways to implement lesson styles their coworkers were using for their own classes. From this experience, teachers are learning how to adapt changes into their classrooms to interpret new strategies for tying in new values of academic discourse. Through Literacy Day, the school is evolving classrooms by investigating the potential of integrating better communication and discussion between students and teachers; pushing towards a future of more lively discussion and learning.

Literacy Day was created in order to encourage academic discourse within a classroom. Throughout the day, district personnel observed classrooms and how they engaged in academic discourse. Teachers are creating specialized lesson plans that will improve communication and provide a relevant and engaging learning environment.

We believe literacy is the cornerstone of all learning in all content areas; therefore, a focus on literacy is a moral imperative for all teachers, no matter grade level or content focus.”

— Dawn Phipps, Forsyth County Director of High School Education and Learning

This is part of the five year initiative to develop the level of learning within Forsyth County. The county has developed a new process of learning that will adapt to the changes seen within the student body in order to improve the students’ outlook on education. To further develop reading in our society, the school has created student prizes. Teachers have been given prizes for students who are seen reading books outside of class. This academic discourse enables students and teachers to work together on presentations and peer discussions. Various activities such as critical thinking, accountability, and communication marked Literacy Day at South.

Grace Drawdy
Lab Partners at work. In science classes, labs were conducted in order to encourage students to use critical thinking and discuss their thoughts with partners. Students in this lab studied acids and bases, and compared and contrasted their results with peers.

Grace Drawdy
Students becoming the teachers. In this class, students speak to their peers. Groups of students created a lesson and review quiz for the rest of their class. This involved the entire class in a way that connected students through academic discourse.

Ms. McGray, an AP Government teacher, says, “I think it has helped, especially with AP Gov, because they got to share their opinions and see how the Supreme Court impacts their daily lives. They had more relevant conversations, especially with the NetRef discussion. With Honors World, we expanded more of what they received in class and also seeing historical perspectives about World War 1.”

Junior Rowen Aragon agreed,  “We participated in a new Socratic seminar format that we designed as a class. It was great; we could have easily talked for 2 hours about The Things They Carried and whether or not the draft is justified. The discussion was great to the point where I annoyed my next period talking about the draft.”

However, some students felt it interrupted the flow of class and wasn’t related to their subject. Most of the time, the reactions were positive.

In my classroom, a focus on literacy happens regularly. Literacy Day or not, academic discourse in an integral aspect of my science instruction five days a week.”

— Kelsey Parent

Swapping books. Mr. and Mrs. McIlvan “shop” at the school’s book swap cart. Swap Mobile’s introduction to South Forsyth High School gives students an opportunity to find new stories to enjoy while also being able to donate old books they once loved, but no longer read. The Swap Mobile provides students with opportunities to expand their knowledge on reading by getting books for free. The cycle of giving and taking allows so many people to enjoy a book someone might not have been able to afford, or someone a chance to clean out their storage.

Daria Weber
Literature lover. In the SFHS dining hall, Sharon Forks Library set up rows of popular books for students to look over, as well as a station to sign up for a free library card. Invited to represent Forsyth County Libraries, Page James joined SFHS during Literacy Day – a day devoted to inspiring students to become interested in reading.

INTERVIEW WITH SHARON FORKS LIBRARIAN, PAGE JAMES

Q: What does the Sharon Forks Library hope to accomplish here today?
A: We were invited to come and represent Sharon Forks, and we wanted to encourage teens to sign up for a library card. We are also giving out information about tutor.com, which is our online tutoring service. It is available for teenagers and younger kids, and you just need a library card. You can become in contact with tutors that specialize in whatever subject it is. We think it’s one of our really good services we supply for patrons of the library. We are hoping people sign up for the library card so they can also use tutor.com We want to promote literacy. As a library, that’s what we are about.
Q: What advice would you give to students who may not be open to reading more books?
A: I would try to find something that would interest the student, because you can tie in almost anything into a book. You can find a book for everything you are interested in.
Q: How can reading more books improve the lifestyle of students?
A: I think reading is relaxing. It’s a way to escape everything you have to deal in high school and life in general.

Through this single day at South, students are able to see the importance of literacy and understand the importance of meaningful academic discourse. 

About the Contributors
Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Alyssa Freyman is a senior and is joining the journalism staff for her third year. You can usually catch her at a local bookstore or coffee shop, getting her caffeine fix. In her spare time, she enjoys jamming out to Coldplay and 70's and 80's rock or watching Netflix. Her latest binge-watch is That 70’s Show, and she is currently re-watching Parks and Rec. She believes that Disney movies are always a good idea. Alyssa is currently a member of DECA, National Honors Society (NHS), National English...

Sierra Wamsley, Associate Editor

Sierra Wamsley is a junior at South Forsyth High School. She is beyond thrilled for her third year year on The Bird Feed staff. When she is not working hard on her school studies, you can find Sierra splashing in the pool or writing a new story. She will be continuing on the South Forsyth Swim and Dive Team for the third year in October. Whenever you run into her, she’ll always have a big smile on her face and a positive attitude. Sierra spends the majority of her free time engaged in music whether...

Daria Weber, Copy Editor

Daria Weber is a Senior at South Forsyth, marking her fourth year on The Bird Feed staff. A proud Venture Scout, Daria is the current president of Crew 1109, president of the NEGA Venturing Officers Association, and works at Camp Rainey Mountain. Although Daria is often busy with school-work, she will always find time to enjoy a good book. Daria’s goal is to bring out the best of The Bird Feed and enjoy her last year on staff.

You can reach Daria at:

[email protected]

or

@dariabirdfeed

Kate Haas, Features Editor

Kate Haas is a junior at South Forsyth High School and this is her second year working on The Bird Feed. One can often find her watching The Office or New Girl on Netflix, reading a book, or studying for her many AP classes. She enjoys playing lacrosse and is a member of the South Forsyth team. Her interests include eating sushi, writing stories, and laughing at memes. Kate has a passion for community service and believes that we should all do the best we can to help others. She is a proud Gryffindor...

Elijah Cho, Opinions Section Editor

Elijah Cho is a sophomore in South Forsyth High School and is very grateful to be able to be in the Journalism group once again. Despite deciding to fully focus on academics instead of joining marching band this year, he’s still doing his best to push through the difficult classes in his second year like AP World History. He loves to write short stories in his free time while listening to video game and anime soundtracks like Professor Layton or Undertale (when he’s not too busy obsessing over...

Shree Delwadia, Social Media Lead

Shree is a freshman here at South. “Life is short, and so is she; so she makes the best out of it.” She lives by this quote everyday. If you run into her, you will find her laughing and smiling, stirring up new conversations. She loves embracing her passion for leading by always helping others. Her friends would describe her as dependable, ambitious, and warm-hearted. Shree has strong interests for the medical field which combine her passions of healthcare and assisting others. She aspires to...

Shreya Mishra, Social Media Lead

Shreya Mishra is a freshman at South Forsyth High School, and is exceptionally excited to be working on the journalism staff this year. She enjoys creative writing, opinion writing, and photography. Out of school, she is an extremely passionate dancer of 7 years, and an artist since she could write. Shreya has won many competitions for public speaking, and plans to grow her debating and speech-giving throughout school. When she grows up, Shreya wants to go into business marketing or journalism. She...

Samyu Machani, Staff Writer

Samyu Machani is a senior at South Forsyth High, ready to graduate and explore the endless possibilities college has to offer. She’s has a love for music, plays acoustic guitar, and has a strong interest for reading and writing poetry, even though she’s not an expert. This is her first year in journalism, and she believes that the course gives her an opportunity to delve deeper into crucial topics, and to incorporate her creative skills in her work. In the future, she is interested in pursuing...

Brooke Eldridge, Staff Writer

Brooke Eldridge is not your average sophomore. As her second year working for The Bird Feed begins, not only does she await the excitement of writing, but she indulges in helping others in need. Brooke is incredibly interested in helping out the homeless community and is very opinionated on certain topics. She has a high sense of fashion, and loves coordinating her clothes by color. In her free time, Brooke enjoys wrapping herself in a blanket and binge-watching Dexter, watching any horror film she...

Minakshi Shivananda, Staff Writer

Minakshi Shivananda is a freshman at South Forsyth High School and is taking on her first year at The Bird Feed. Minakshi enjoys listening to music, hanging out with her friends, and watching soccer games. She is actively involved in piano and tennis and finds these activities a good way to recover from a long day of school. In her pastime, watching shows on Netflix with her family make the perfect night. She believes that laughter is the best medicine and can brighten up the worst day. Some of her...

Olivia Waletzke, Staff Writer

Olivia is a freshman at South and new to the journalism crew! Writing is a huge passion of hers so the Journalism group is a dream come true for her. She enjoys hanging out with her friends and adores meeting new people to talk to. Olivia was born in a suburb outside Chicago and is a definite Midwesterner. She enjoys rollerskating and getting Boba tea with her friends on the weekends. Olivia has a deep passion for traveling, and just recently traveled to Japan over the summer of 2018. Olivia is into...

Naisha Roy, Staff Writer

Naisha Roy is a freshman at SFHS, and beyond excited to start off her first year as a writer for The BirdFeed. You can see her going through the hallways with a smile on her face, enjoying school and always willing to lend a helping hand to those struggling with homework. Her sarcasm being her trademark to all who know her, she loves a good riddle or puzzle to challenge her mind. She also loves painting and shading, although they certainly aren’t her calling. Her dream college is Columbia University....

Douglas Seely, Staff Writer

Douglas Seely is a junior at South Forsyth High school. This is his first year working on The Bird Feed. Douglas likes to spend his time working on cars and trucks. Over the summer Douglas worked at a summer camp named, Camp Rainey Mountain as a Ranger and an Instructor.Douglas is very active in Boy Scouts and likes hiking and backpacking. Douglas like to fence on the South Forsyth Fencing team. Douglas’ visions for The Bird Feed  is to bring a lot of information to the readers.

Email:...

Kayleigh Emberton, Sports Editor

Kayleigh Emberton is a sophmore who is now in her second year of journalism. Kayleigh loves sports, especially baseball and football. Kayleigh is a die-hard fan of the Atlanta Braves and Indianapolis Colts. She loves the beach, camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities. When she isn’t outside she is listening to music and dancing around the house. Kayleigh loves to be full of adrenaline so she enjoys action and horror movies, but every once in awhile a Disney movie really sets the mood. Her...

Grace Drawdy, Photo/Video Editor

Grace Drawdy is a sophomore and has been apart of The Bird Feed for 2 years. You can find her making a splash at the Cumming Aquatics Center where she is a year round competitive swimmer, or laughing out loud with friends. If you've been around Grace, it is guaranteed that you have laughed long and hard. Grace loves to live life loud. She has a passion for serving others through various mission trips. Her heart beats for kids fighting pediatric cancer, and she wants to heal them all. She loves spending...

Lauren Holiday, News Editor

Lauren Holiday is a senior at South Forsyth and the News Editor of The Bird Feed. She is an inspired and passionate artist with big hopes for her future. Lauren is an art enthusiast who studies many popular online artists and writers to improve her own works. The reasoning behind additionally having interest in journalism is that she believes fiction stories need to have a relevance to the world today in order to tell a meaningful message. So while it may seem that she’s lost in fantasies with...

Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

Sadie Rawlings is sophomore and a new member of The Bird Feed staff this year. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions or spends time at home watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. In addition to writing for The Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways where she writes about her passions for food, fitness, and fun. She loves to find new recipes and test them out, especially southwest salads. Most people would describe Sadie as dedicated, bold, and organized; it’s her goal to do everything to her best ability and to take challenges head-on. She is excited to be on staff this year as she grows as a journalist.

Feel free to contact her at @SadieRBirdFeed or [email protected]