Cracking parenting: AP Psych students raise “egg” babies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don't crack under pressure. Students strive to give the best care for their egg babies to give them the best childhood. They scramble to get every part of the project done. Neomi Mendoza, a junior, replied,

Don't crack under pressure. Students strive to give the best care for their egg babies to give them the best childhood. They scramble to get every part of the project done. Neomi Mendoza, a junior, replied, "The egg project has been a fun experience."

Grace Drawdy

Grace Drawdy

Grace Drawdy

Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

225 babies are born each minute; in this case, however, it’s the AP Psych kids’ baby eggs. As they carefully prepare each egg, students tenderly carry colorful boxes and tins filled with fabric and stuffing. They cradle their precious eggs–even the slightest crack and they could fail the project.

AP Psychology students kick off their unit by caring for their very own egg baby by naming it, playing with it, and creating a safe environment for it in order to learn about the different theories of development. With the insides of the eggs blown out, the egg shells become very fragile which makes the task of not cracking the egg a seemingly difficult one. Students are tasked to document their days with their eggs such as going to the park, reading a book, and playing with other eggs. If they leave their egg behind, they must find a suitable babysitter that has initialed that they have watched the egg.

Proud parents. Outside Ms. Spencer’s class, students post pictures of their eggs and their names. Psych students have spent the last two weeks raising their egg babies.

Each one of the eggs is named and decorated, making each one unique. Some students have gone a more traditional route by taking a sharpie and drawing a smiley face on their eggs while others have used makeup to create the face. Students have continued to be creative with the way they are raising their “eggs”; students are teaching their eggs to swim, drive, and read.  

“My egg’s name is Chief, and I care for him every day,” responded sophomore Aiden Lee. “The project really gives us an insight of how childhood and different kinds of care can affect someone for the rest of their lives.”

Can we guarantee that these students will be better parents? Maybe. But keeping an egg baby is no simple task.

About the Contributors
Sadie Rawlings, Online Editor

Sadie Rawlings is sophomore and a new member of The Bird Feed staff this year. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions or spends time at home watching makeup tutorials on YouTube. In addition to writing for The Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways where she writes about her passions for food, fitness, and fun. She loves to find new recipes and test them out, especially southwest salads. Most people would describe...

Grace Drawdy, Photo/Video Editor

Grace Drawdy is a sophomore and has been apart of The Bird Feed for 2 years. You can find her making a splash at the Cumming Aquatics Center where she is a year round competitive swimmer, or laughing out loud with friends. If you've been around Grace, it is guaranteed that you have laughed long and hard. Grace loves to live life loud. She has a passion for serving others through various mission trips. Her heart beats for kids fighting pediatric cancer, and she wants to heal them all. She loves spending...