Keep palm and carry on. Junior Monica Ramos receives her complementary Kona ice at the DECA tailgate. The club wanted to encourage students to show school spirit at the game. “I had so much fun hanging out with my friends and playing in the bouncy house.” Ramos said. (Sadie Rawlings)
Keep palm and carry on. Junior Monica Ramos receives her complementary Kona ice at the DECA tailgate. The club wanted to encourage students to show school spirit at the game. “I had so much fun hanging out with my friends and playing in the bouncy house.” Ramos said.

Sadie Rawlings

Saying “Aloha” to the football season

August 28, 2019

DECA Tailgate

Surrounded by red, green, yellow inflatables and the savor of Jim ‘N Nick’s barbeque wafting through the air, students celebrate the beginning of the 2019 football season. DECA, a co-curricular marketing club, held their annual tailgate before the football game against Sprayberry. Freshmen through seniors were clad in their Hawaiian attire with a collection of colorful leis and grass skirts. While there, DECA officers were playing music and encouraging students to have fun, and the marketing teachers relaxed while watching the students hanging out. A carefree vibe flows throughout the air as students bounce in the jumpy-houses and race through the inflatable obstacle course.

Pumped up. Junior Esther Kim runs through the inflatable obstacle course. DECA ordered different inflatables from last year. “It was a great opportunity to just hang out and de-stress with friends after a long day of school.” Kim said.

Throughout the week, admin has encouraged teachers to decorate their doors for the spirit week and dress up for the Hawaiian theme. South Forsyth High aimed to promote school spirit, and DECA took this challenge head-on. During the tailgate, students were able to enjoy pre-game food from a local barbeque restaurant, Kona Ice, as well as inflatables, all free for DECA members.

One of the goals of the tailgate was to allow the upperclassmen to meet the other underclassmen, and the officers were able to meet some of the new members of the club. It allowed students of all grades to connect while having fun at the same time.

“The DECA tailgate is a lot of fun, and it makes sure that everyone has something to enjoy.” Sophomore Katelyn Dixon mentioned during the tailgate.

Students participated in racing in the obstacle inflatables and were able to cool off with snowcone when they beat their friends, and they had various designs on their cheeks after a face painter decorated their faces.

“It was also a really awesome mood maker to get us all pepped up for the football game.” junior Esther Kim commented.

The tailgate provided an opportunity for students to get to know each other, get pumped up for the game, participate in school spirit, and for students to enjoy a school-sanctioned event.

About the Writers
Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor
Sadie Rawlings is a junior and a co-associate editor of The Bird Feed staff this year as she was formerly the online editor. She usually spends her free time in the gym where she prepares for upcoming CrossFit competitions. In addition to writing for the Bird Feed, she runs her own lifestyle blog called Sadie’s Ways. Most people would describe Sadie as dedicated, bold, and organized; it’s her goal to do everything to her best ability and to take challenges head-on.

Feel free to contact her at @SadieRBirdFeed or [email protected]

Hawaiian Out vs Sprayberry

The Friday mood lightens as the South’s hallways explode with grass skirts, lei’s, Hawaiian shirts, and sunglasses. Beachy vibes are felt throughout the school as teachers decorate their classroom door with pineapple and palm tree cut outs. A normally tense Friday is rapidly turned upside down as students walk to class with friends. Chatter of the evening’s football game can be heard within the walls of South, the home of the War Eagles.

“I think dressing up for the football games really get the players motivated and more confident. They feel the beach vibes,” Chan Baik said. “I like to dress up because it helps me add to this school’s pride and spirit. It helps us be more unified. I think that the football players are going to do really well tonight, I can’t wait.”

With the new SuperFan app, students at South High are constantly encouraged to openly express more school spirit. By dressing up and attending weekly games, students and staff receive a certain number of points useful for prizes in future months.

Hours after school ended, students and faculty returned to the War Eagle stadium to support their team in the first football game of the season.

South started the game with the ball on their 37 yard line. After back and forth turnovers, Sprayberry broke through the defense and ran the ball to red zone. Unable to get a touchdown, the Yellow Jackets settled with a field goal 7:30 left until the second quarter. 

Starting on their own 14 yard line, the Eagles move the ball down to the 2 yard line. A successful handoff to Green but a blocked field goal will put South in the lead 6-3. Sprayberry with the ball, the yellow jackets buzzed down the field for their first touchdown. With 2.9 seconds left in the quarter, Sprayberry took the lead. After much trouble moving the ball down the field and a timeout called by South, Green successfully moved the ball into the end zone, scoring the War Eagles second touchdown of the game pulling South ahead 12-10.

Sprayberry was forced to punt the ball back to South where they started at the 45 line. Then, after a deep pass, Cruz increased the score gap by another seven points, scoring a third touchdown for South. At the end of the first half, South led 19-13.

Sprayberry started the third quarter at their own 36 yard line. At the 8 yard line, South’s defense stopped them there and Sprayberry wasn’t able to put any more points on the board. The third quarter ended; neither team receiving any points.

Tre’von Green received the ball at the 2nd yard line and ran it in for another South touchdown in the fourth quarter. South was up 27-13. With a burst of energy, Sprayberry flew down the field gaining another touchdown for the evening.

With 6:23 left in the game, South was up seven points, ball in hand. With impressive blocking from the War Eagles, Tre’von Green scored the final touchdown of the night for South increasing their lead to 34-20. 

After back and fourth offense, South soared above with a final score of 34-20.

About the Writers
Sierra Wamsley, Editor-in-Chief
Sierra Wamsley is a senior at South Forsyth High School. She is beyond thrilled for her fourth year on The Bird Feed staff. You can often find Sierra splashing in the pool or writing a new story. She will be continuing on the South Forsyth Swim and Dive Team for the fourth year. She’ll always have a big smile on her face and a positive attitude. Sierra spends the majority of her free time engaged in music. She is usually jamming out to pop music with her brothers in the car. One item that has always been on her bucket list for the future is visiting Greenland. You can reach Sierra on Twitter at @wamsley_sierra or email her at [email protected].

The Bird Feed • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in