Graduation party on a budget

Back to Article
Back to Article

Graduation party on a budget

Tossing caps in celebration. For seniors, graduation is just around the corner. A graduation party is a popular way to say goodbye to high school friends and celebrate the new phase of life that they are starting.

Photo taken by Jessie Jacobson from Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jessiejacobson/3609815914/in/photolist-6uZfvq-Gt3rgf-ecEPZY-NKeqY-XexVm2-nPgxp5-DZB4Tn-TPx6xz-UNGrtA-nPnskC-27jpDxb-4Wu1S6-J6Dc1e-Kfyf4h-24CTcn3-27jpxvm-24CTddb-27jpDqs-27jpxA1-27jpAx3-261RzFR-261RJSM-27jpChL-24CTfbu-smFuP3-27jpxr3-ciQeUb-5J8UwE-5J4CqB-NKMMT-5J4Cpn-27joNUE-q8vq4M-9NZ8Ke-9UzSqc-C1pRi-LhxJG-29UeZG-URooVr-nMoaYb-nwW9NV-nwWe9Q-MsPJML-nwWcFP-nPnsaY-nwWccT-nracwG-2beevzZ-2cC38sp-2cxxXGy. No changes were made.

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Seniors celebrate the end of the school year while basking in the summer sun. They dream about the new part of their lives that is fast approaching: college. The moment soon arrives where their friends and family gather together to congratulate the soon-to-be freshman in college.

A graduation party has become a popular way to celebrate seniors. However, it can become costly and inconvenient for those who are trying to save money for college. Below are some ways to spare expense without sparing appearance and fun.

• Stick to a budget. Talk to your parents and make sure that you are in agreement with how much money will be spent. Remember: you’re going to college and still need to pay for your education and necessities.

• Choose an affordable caterer or food plan. If you can’t afford to get your favorite restaurant, simple side dishes like chips and dip can tie it all together and please party-goers. Another option is to not have your party around a time of eating.

ProjectManhattan - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=31073847

• Keep the invite list less than 100. You may have a lot of friends, but it can become expensive to provide for all of those friends at your party. It may be more beneficial to invite close friends and family only.

• Think about co-hosting. If you co-host, then you can both split the cost. You can do this with a friend or SO.

• Send your invitations digitally. You can do this through evite, or you can create a GroupMe invite. By doing this instead of printing out invitations, you can avoid spending money and get an instant response.

Designed by Alyssa Freyman

• Have your party at home or somewhere else that is free. One of the most expensive aspects of a graduation party is the venue. Having it at your house or neighborhood clubhouse is a great way to save money for more important things, like college.

Adrian Scottow. https://www.flickr.com/photos/chodhound/7188026569/in/photolist-bXbvSz-9hE1NJ-4PvTaW-2817ubs-6vKzpT-duFKMH-npKKtf-pcQJyU-55Ub5k-vBQqmZ-ry7jE4-nGMFU1-bABAbd-ebZ5ix-66NXXR-nmM3Se-5Xfg5y-7fBABV-9JDXu9-M1dr5-dxozh9-518S65-8a6ezq-8Ei6SB-ooHVWi-c9Xi9E-qnVA7b-bwbfQR-4QCh33-FYMhh-ecYMJQ-7BT9FY-87EQHG-4x14Zu-9SyAd4-5NYygC-dxPSeM-dn3QV1-nFWJJA-8zuS6b-7dpm4b-npHuXM-dZH7ub-bAGZHN-v85o7-BU3Kw-r6hszg-7rRMKc-cKmXTf-aQwTA. No changes were made.

• Find your decorations at cheaper places. Buying supplies at dollar tree, a sales rack, or thrift store can save your budget from unnecessary expense. Posts from Pinterest showcase ways to make cheaper things look better and stylish.

Cutting costs doesn’t mean you have to cut out the fun. If you follow these tips and find ways to save money, you’ll thank yourself later when buying things for your dorm room.