A cultural opportunity for students that will make them say “Grazie”

Photo taken by Piviso on Flickr

A stunning piece of art. The Trevi Fountain, which is in Rome, is one of the most popular spots to visit for tourists. For the school trip in 2020, students will get the chance to see the fountain first-hand on Day 3.

Students breathe in the sweet air of Rome, taking everything in. From the Trevi Fountain to the scooters that shoot by and the Leaning Tower of Pisa, they can’t get enough and crane their neck in an effort to see everything. The sound of various languages surrounds them. This is only the beginning of their trip and, the students can’t wait to explore more.

Students get both a better sense of history and of mythology as well as an introduction to the European outlook on life.

— Mr. Hedges

Mr. Hedges, a Latin teacher at South, is taking a group of students from Rome and Athens on a thirteen-day trip. He has been on the trip six times in the past and is excited to go back to Italy and Greece. The trip takes students through cultural cities such as Vatican City, Pompeii, Olympia, and Mycenae.

“Three things that stand out to me are: the Island of Santorini because it is stunningly beautiful; the Minotaur’s Labyrinth on Crete is a fascinating site from mythology, and Athens is a very fun city” revealed Mr. Hedges. “I look forward to helping my students experience the world of mythology in a new, more personal way.”

The trip is not just for Latin students, however. It is open to all students who are interested. Those who are interested should talk to Mr. Hedges in room 1228.