New classes for a new school year

Preparing+for+a+new+year.+Ms.+Hunt+will+take+on+the+challenge+of+teaching+the+Mythology+and+Speech+classes.+She+is+excited+for+these+semester-long+classes+and+believes+that+they+will+become+very+popular+among+students.+

Preparing for a new year. Ms. Hunt will take on the challenge of teaching the Mythology and Speech classes. She is excited for these semester-long classes and believes that they will become very popular among students.

As students come back to South in the fall, a lot of change will have occurred. New schedules, more challenging classes, and new literature classes. Some will be half semester classes, while others will be for the whole school year, adding to the already immense amount of classes. We got a deeper look into the new classes to get an idea of what students will learn.

Mythology, Fables, and Folklore

In the past, Freshmen have learned a small chunk of information on mythology. They mostly only have enough time to focus on Greek and Roman mythology before moving on to the next standard. But what if there was a whole semester to learn about worldwide mythology? Students who enjoy learning about history and tales from the past will find pleasure in the Mythology, Folk, and Folklore class that will be available next school year. The class will be made up of oral and written analysis through assignments, exercises, and examinations. This class will provide more of a hands-on approach that requires participation. Formative grades will be made up of daily work, group work, participation, and quizzes. Tests, a final portfolio, and essays will make up the summative grades.  This class is a great opportunity for those who wish to understand how the world works and how certain cultures are made up.

Speech

This class is offered to juniors and seniors. During the semester of Speech, students will improve posture and speech diction, learn to enhance speeches with the help or presentation aids, create and design speeches based on analysis of the audience, and so much more. This course gives students the ability to develop and strengthen in preparing and presenting public presentations. Throughout the semester, it brings self-confidence to students. The course as a whole focuses on the development of public speaking and communication skills. Interested Junior, Caleb Tew explained, “I became interested in taking the course because I felt like I needed to work on my public speaking in front of people. It sometimes can be difficult to convey my thoughts to others sometimes.”

Holocaust and Genocide

Students at South are required to take two history classes, World History and US History. Although these classes are educational, there isn’t enough time in the year to provide in-depth information on each topic. Next year, South Forsyth High School is offering a new social study elective which will allow students to dive deeper into the field of history. The class is focused on studying one of the darker sides of history: Holocaust and genocide.

The class is open to rising juniors and seniors to take and will be taught by Nicole Barth, who currently teaches U.S. History and American Government.

The class will have the typical format with lectures, presentations, and projects. Students will participate in discussions on the topics discussed in class. Other resources like books and film will also be used to teach the class.

Ms. Barth had taken a trip to Israel to prepare for this course. The trip helped her expand her knowledge and perspective, preparing her for her class.

“Through this training and several others, I have had the opportunity to meet and listen to many Holocaust survivors. These experiences helped to further solidify my passion for history and teaching about all of it, the good and the bad. Nothing should be left out and we must teach about and learn from these events.”

The course covers serious matters, so Ms. Barth advises that students, “have an open mind, empathy, and willingness to step outside your comfort zone.”

It’s important to study topics like genocide in order to prevent history from repeating itself. Ms. Barth says, “The main purpose of this class is not only to educate about the atrocities of the Holocaust, and other genocides, to make sure that we never forget, but also to influence change and acceptance in our school and community.” Students who are eligible are open to taking this class to expand their knowledge of history.

Dramatic Writing

A Georgian filmmaker walks around Atlanta taking in the view. The new movie is on its way to being the next big hit. For years, Georgia has been used as a place for filmmakers, mostly from Los Angeles, to shoot their movies.

Mr. Rutherford adds, ”The FX show Atlanta, for example, is titled after our state capital, shot in and around the city, was created by a Georgian (Donald Glover, raised in Stone Mountain), and stars predominantly Atlanta-based talent. However, it is written out in Los Angeles.”

The purpose of this new course offered to rising juniors and seniors is designed to keep Georgia in the entertainment industry. Rising Juniors that wish to take the course must take it along with American Literature or AP Language, fulfilling the last two necessary credits of the required English courses whereas Seniors have the option of taking it instead of the alternative and appropriate course.

I look forward,” Lisa Holiday says, “to learning more about my interests are in writing and what careers I might be interested in”.

Dramatic writing counts as a theatre and English course credit and requires an application due March 6th.