Featured Club: Mock Trial Competition

Image used with permission of the Mock Trial Team.

Mock Trial Group Photo. The Mock Trial Team gathers together for a group picture at the Georgia High School Mock Trial Competition last year. Although some members have moved to Denmark High School, the Mock Trial Team has gathered new members and are improving every day for their new case. “It’s a wonderfully fun club that teaches you how to argue and look graceful while doing it,” junior Kate Tisdale claimed.

Elijah Cho, Opinions Section Editor

Court is now in session as the South Forsyth Mock Trial Team prepare their testimonies and arguments for the annual court case and competition. The South Forsyth Mock Trial Team represents a class of public speakers and students with a different mindset using their distinctive thinking processes and backgrounds to develop cases that are firm and substantial. More than that, they are a group of friends and a family who loves to argue and continuously improve. The Mock Trial Team usually has group discussions and debates about the current case they are working on every meeting and sometimes discuss separately as the prosecution and defense team. At other times, they would hold practice runs of their court proceedings as if in a real courtroom. The Mock Trial Team is currently preparing for the Georgia High School Mock Trial Competition; created and maintained by the State Bar of Georgia for about 20 years.

“Why wouldn’t you join? You gain so much experience in the field of law as well as build up your own legal debate skills” said junior Nathan Miller.

There are currently twelve members that actively compete, with two members that function as timekeepers, and four artists that are competing for the art competition. The president of the 2018-2019 Mock Trial Team is Matthew Farias with vice presidents Kate Tisdale and Nathan Miller, secretary Keerthi Dande, and treasurer Rachita Iyer. But, the team as a whole this year is full of skillful and talented members. In fact, several members in the Mock Trial Team have earned individual awards as best attorneys and witnesses.

The Mock Trial team meets every Monday at Room 423 and Thursday at Room 1663; from 4:00-5:00 after school ends. There are no requirements to be in Mock Trial and all potential lawyers, witnesses, or artists are welcome. However, tryouts are required to have anyone officially placed as an active competitor in the Mock Trial Team. Still, anyone who wishes to improve on their public speaking, confidence, and logical reasoning skills is more than welcome to join.