• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

Filed under News, Showcase

German club celebrates old Easter tradition

Despite+the+cold+and+windy+weather%2C+South%27s+German+Club+kids+set+up+their+Tree+of+Life+between+the+World+Language+Mod+Pod+and+West+Hall.+
Despite the cold and windy weather, South's German Club kids set up their Tree of Life between the World Language Mod Pod and West Hall.

Sophie Ralph

Sophie Ralph

Ostereierbaum, also known as an Easter egg tree, is a German tradition where the branches of trees and bushes are decorated with eggs. During Ostereierbaum, children in Germany gather an array of supplies to make beautiful eggs for the seasonal tradition of Easter which celebrates the arrival of spring.

The members invested quite a few hours of blowing out eggs at home and decorating them after school”

— Agnieszka Ergun

A variety of eggs are sprayed with multicolored patterns or are painted with landscape motifs, particularly of cities. Others are covered in crochet which protects them against weathering during the fluctuating spring climate. Children and their parents excitedly hang the decorated eggs on a “tree of life” and prepare for the remainder of spring and the eventual arrival of summer. In countries around the world, the eggs all share the same ancient symbolism for life. 

Despite the cold and windy weather, the South Forsyth German Club students constructed their Tree of Life before leaving for Spring Break. 

“We blew the yoke out of eggs, washed them and then painted them. We would gather before an after school and have a painting party. This is our third year doing it and we’ve collected eggs every year. We’re always making new ones,” junior Ayonica Bhattacharya explained.

The German Club seeks to educate SFHS students about German traditions and their meanings.

“I definitely feel more in touch with the German culture since this is such a prominent activity. I felt like I’m getting more connected to it,” Bhattacharya further commented.

The club’s sponsor, Mrs. Agnieszka Ergun, said “The members invested quite a few hours of blowing out eggs at home and decorating them after school to celebrate the renewal of life, following an ancient Chinese tradition that was later adopted by Germans to celebrate.” 

South Forsyth High School students can celebrate this Easter tradition with the German club by taking time to enjoy South’s Tree of Life which is situated between the World Language Mod Pod and West Hall.

About the Contributors
Lauren Bunker, Staff Writer

Lauren Bunker is your average teenager. She's super stressed about school, really bad about time management and a little bit too dramatic. When she is not dribbling through players at soccer, you can spot her drawing her favorite thing, eyes. But her absolute love is writing. She knows that someday, she will impact the world greatly through her writing. But for now she is not only excited about her first year of journalism but also her first season of competitive soccer. She loves watching law and...

Sophie Ralph, News and Multimedia Editor

Sophie Ralph is a quirky sophomore and has been on staff with The Bird Feed for two years. She loves this opportunity to express herself through writing and design! Photography is a passion of hers, even though most of her camera roll is pictures of her dog. She loves to sing and dance like a dork. In her natural habitat, she can be found out and about with her friends or curled up in bed watching Netflix wearing fuzzy socks. Sophie’s a writer, a geek, an optimist, and a Christian. She believes...