Lures on Lanier: Aug. 7, 2023

Every week the Bird Feed’s special correspondent takes readers on a deep-dive of Lake Lanier’s fin-tastic fishing conditions.
The Bird Feed Staff (Canva)
Lake Lanier contains 38,000 acres of prime fishing opportunity, as it’s home to multiple species of bass, catfish and trout (Lanieroutdoors.com).

The fishing on Lake Lanier has been up and down for most of the summer.

Success right now really depends on the weather conditions. While favorable conditions have been hard to come by recently, an overcast day with a breeze is ideal for catching that illusive bite.

The Bass have now dropped down to their real summer pattern and can be found around deep brush, ledges, and humps.

The top water bite that everyone loves is relatively better in the morning, but you can catch fish throughout the day regardless.

The chug bug cane walker has been the key to securing some big bites recently, along with the chrome slick stick once the sun is up. The drop shot is another option you can utilize for those fish tucked close to the brush when the top water and swimbaits aren’t working. In terms of the drop shot, Morning Dawn and Blue Lily have been the best colors to use recently.

Ultimately, the key to success right now is finding the right school (not in Forsyth County…a school of fish). Make a couple casts using your FFS, and if you don’t get hooked up, leave and seek more favorable conditions elsewhere. Just be patient and keep running.

The fish are going to be doing the same thing for a while, so don’t overthink it and success will come in no time.