Lures on Lanier: Aug. 14, 2023

Despite the record heat, the right combo of equipment, bait and old-fashioned determination will prevail.
The Bird Feed Staff (Canva)
Lake Lanier contains 38,000 acres of prime fishing opportunity, as it’s home to multiple species of bass, catfish and trout (Lanieroutdoors.com).

Lake level: 2.2 feet down
Temp: Ranging from 80 to 84 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on your location.
Water Clarity: Clear throughout the lake with slight staining in the backs of creeks.

Let’s get into it. The majority of the bass are going to be located in and around brush piles in the 25-30 foot range.

It seems as though the drop shot is the main player now and for the next while. There are two ways you can utilize the drop shot to catch them.

1. Cast to them, and drag it through the pile.
  2. Drop vertically on them.

You want to rig the soft plastic weedless if you’ll be fishing it around those piles. I prefer a 1/0 Roboworm Rebarb hook with a just a normal drop shot weight. I’ll pair that with a Blue Lilly and Morning Dawn Roboworm.

As always, you can also catch fish on some topwater as well. Anything chrome will more than likely work if you find the perfect school to target. You want to look for those suspended bass on your Forward Facing Sonar, or Sidescan if you don’t have that. Just work that lure (Chug Bug, Cane Walker, etc) over them and if you don’t get bit after a maximum of give good cast, LEAVE. I know it’s hard if you see the bass right there, but they are not interested if they aren’t hitting that topwater. Another big thing that will cause you issues is setting the hook too early. Once they bite it, and you are sure they have it, count “one Mississippi” or whatever you prefer, then set the hook.

Now on to my personal favorite, the Jig. Most people know that you can catch fish on a Jig year round, but not many people actually use it during the heat of the summer. There are multiple different types, weights, colors, and brands that you can use. I’ll list the ones I use and then why and where.

1. Buckeye Lures ⅜ Mop Jig in green pumpkin or PB&J. I will throw this at the suspended bass I see on my Forward Facing Sonar and I’ll make sure that I cast it so it falls right in the middle of them. The “living rubber” that is used on the jig flares and pulsates significantly more than silicon ones and causes the bass to eat it on the way down.
  2. The Strike King Structure Jig. I’ll again use a green pumpkin and PB&J color. Decrease the weight if you can feel the bass drop it or if they aren’t biting. This jig is exceptionally good at being drug through brush piles. Now here’s the trick: cast it out about five feet or so behind the brush, then start dragging it back through it. You will normally get bit right before the jig enters or after it exits. Set that hook hard and pull them away from that brush quick.
  3. The Dirty Jigs Luke Clausen Finesse Jig. I’ll use green pumpkin, PB&J, and black and brown. Use the least amount of weight. I will throw this in the exact same areas as the previously mentioned Structure Jig, but, I will only throw this if they are not biting options no. 1 or no. 2. This jig works great for stubborn fish. Just make sure you work it very carefully through the brush, and don’t accidentally set the hook on a part of the brush that you thought was a fish.

Some other lures you can use are:

1. Chrome Slick Stick. Work this over brush piles or suspended bass once the sun comes up.
  2. Flutter Spoon. Throw this directly behind the school of fish you see, then start popping it up through the school. Make sure you let it flutter down.
  3. Crank bait. Early in the morning, throw a deep diver and burn it back to the boat.

Right now it is incredibly (historically) hot outside. You can get dehydrated very, very easily. Bring lots of water and maybe swim trunks if you want to jump in as well, but if you’re like me and are obsessed with fishing regardless of the conditions, stay here. Sunny days have been the least productive for me as of late, but overcast and windy conditions have been the best. If you are going to go out, go out!

The following are the boat and electronics that have been working best for me lately:

1. 2003 520VX Ranger Comanche  with a 225 Yamaha Vmax
  2. Humminbird Helix 9’s with Downscan, SideScan, and 2D.
  3. Garmin Echomap
  4. Minn Kota Ultrex

Rods and reels used:

1. Shimano Curado 7’2 MH paired with a Shimano Curado 200k (used for jigs)
  2. Shimano SLX 6’9 medium spinning paired with a Shimano Stradic (used for drop shot).

The bite is good right now if you can do the correct stuff. As always, stay on ’em and KEEP MOVING.

If y’all have any questions about something I didn’t mention, message me on my Instagram, @connorfinkelstein_fishing, or email me at [email protected]