Forsyth County Students Return to School after Virtual Learning

Used with permission from Thomas Park on Unsplash

A different style of learning. The current status of the pandemic affects many students as they take on the challenge and obstacles associated with virtual learning. Schools have transitioned into virtual learning in order to protect its students and staff.

On January 7th, Forsyth County Schools (FCS) announced that schools would remain virtual for two days in order to allow for students and staff to return to school safely after Winter Break, especially as COVID-19 cases and other illnesses continue to rise in the population. The county wanted to ensure that not only were schools were staffed, but also that the county could provide proper transportation services for its students. 

During these two days, virtual learning remained asynchronous as students began to return to their usual school routine after Winter Break. All teachers posted the information for each virtual learning session on Itslearning and remained active during their office hours to support their students.

This is the time of year for all sorts of illnesses…we had to make sure that we had the people power to get students to and from school, feed them, teach them and all of the other duties that go into regular operations.

— SFHS School Nurse Ms. Ceniceros

The school system decided to remain closed for these two days to ensure that all schools were staffed with enough teachers. Throughout the course of this semester, schools will continue to remain open as long as all schools in the district have an adequate number of staff members for instruction.

Furthermore, schools returned to in-person learning on Monday, January 10th. As students returned to school, Forsyth County strongly encouraged students to take the necessary measures to stay healthy such as wearing masks and frequently cleaning areas as much as possible. In addition, the county adjusted its protocol surrounding COVID-19 in order to decrease the number of cases and prevent transmission of the virus within the school.

The COVID-19 guidelines returned to the similar standards that were highlighted at the start of the school year. Students are highly encouraged to stay home if they have any COVID-19 symptoms such as fevers and shortness of breath. Additionally, regardless of test results, students MUST stay at home if they are awaiting test results to reduce any likelihood of COVID-19 transmission. The school administration is working closely with the school nurse and impacted families to ensure students are equipped with the resources they need if they are exposed or feeling ill.

To read more closely about the COVID-19 facts and procedures in Forsyth County, click here.

South Forsyth High School School Nurse, Ms. Kelly Ceniceros, shared her perspective regarding how students and staff can work to fight against the virus and other infections.

“Aside from vaccination against the COVID virus, we really encourage mask-wearing, social distancing, and frequent handwashing,” mentioned Nurse Kelly Ceniceros. “As this is the season for all kinds nasty illnesses such as influenza, colds, and strep-throat just to name a few, it is vital that we take good care of our bodies and do what we can to boost our own immune systems.”

Ultimately, FCS aims to provide a safe and healthy learning environment for its students and staff. Along with specific school guidelines, the county spreads awareness by sharing its “Keep Forsyth Safe” campaign. The campaign encourages different safety measures such as covering your face when sneezing or coughing and staying home if you feel sick. Students are encouraged to follow these guidelines in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and finish off the school year strong.