Therapy dogs and their positive effects on students’ well-being

Therapy+dogs+Sophie+%28left%29+and+Brutus+%28right%29+are+preparing+to+go+throughout+the+school+with+counselor+Mrs.Frankel+%28middle%29+and+visit+classrooms+where+students+will+be+able+to+interact+with+the+dogs.++

Therapy dogs Sophie (left) and Brutus (right) are preparing to go throughout the school with counselor Mrs.Frankel (middle) and visit classrooms where students will be able to interact with the dogs.

Have you noticed the cute, loving, and nurturing dogs around the school? These dogs are actually therapy dogs and are trained to assist students through stressful times. Mrs. Frankel, the owner of the South Forsyth High School therapy dogs, have been able to go around the school and make everyone’s day better.

The two dog’s names are Sophie and Brutus. Sophie is an English Bulldog and was named after the school, SOFO Sophie. Sophie is 11 and was purchased at a store as a puppy. This was the first time they had ever bought a dog as they have always been from the adopted from the humane society. Sophie was chosen by Mrs. Frankel’s daughter as when at the store she fell in love with Sophie. Bruits is an Applehead Teacup Chihuahua. Brutus was found outside of the Walgreens on highway 20. Brutus was in a box with about 11 Chihuahuas that a woman was selling for about $50 each. Brutus was chosen by Mrs. Frankel’s son who picked Brutus up, “and couldn’t let go of him.”

Sophie and Brutus are a valuable addition to the campus. Ms. Wilson introduced the therapy dogs to the school as Mrs. Frankel states, “[Therapy dogs] benefit all students, [They] benefit teachers and we always try to do what’s best for the students here at South.” Mrs.Frankel says that the dogs are able to help the students and staff throughout their day or just cause them to smile. Mrs. France states, “brightening everyone’s day” is what the dogs are able to help with mostly. When talking to students at South they said that the dogs made them feel,” warm and happy.” Mrs.Frankel says that when people see her walking down the hallway or loading up the stroller it brightens their day. As many students may be going through a stressful time period or just having a bad day the dogs are able to help them get through their day. Students interviewed said that they think the dogs are able to help students that may be suffering with anxiety or just your common student. The dogs are also able to help teachers as some of their teachers may be having trouble with their families, just seeing the dogs changes their mood. The training that the dogs go through that allow them to be able to come to the school and help people is about 8 different skills with a test at the end. Sophie was trained when she was about 4 years old and went into senior citizen homes.

Teachers are able to fill out a Google Form for the dogs to come and visit classrooms at any time on Fridays. Mrs. Frankel tries her best to visit all classrooms, however it all depends on how the dogs are feeling throughout the day.