Complacent decision: Adults leave the ballots thinner each year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Voting In Process. On November 6th, 2018, Georgians from all parts of the state gather to place their vote for the midterm elections. This election will determine Georgia's new governer, a huge discussion for many citizens in the past few months.

Jeannette E. Spaghetti Flickr via creative commons

Shreya Mishra, Staff Writer

Each year, the turnout of voters for elections falls lower and lower; the 2018 midterm election has not differed from the past.

Looking in the past, in 2016, only 6 in 10 eligible voters casted their ballets for the presidential election. While this may not seem like a large number, its impact on the elections was substantial, and it has carried on to the midterm elections this year. It is debatable whether or not this number could’ve changed the result of the election completely, but it is a definitive fact that the ballets of non-voters could possibly sway an election substantially, and have an influence on who is supported by the large majority, or small clusters of non-voter people who may have a certain opinion, but do not politically express it.

The overarching theme of many non-voters is the belief that their ballet doesn’t have an effect on the country. And while, ultimately, their vote does not hold a direct indication of which candidate will win, it does contribute to deciding on a winner of the election.

This can be said for Megan Davis, a 31 year old massage therapist, who believes that her vote is near nothing.

“I feel like my voice doesn’t matter. People who suck still are in office, so it doesn’t make a difference.”

The mindset that each citizens’ voice doesn’t matter is what drives the non-voting norm which is becoming more of a problem each voting season. A theme that one should take away from the campaigns held to drive non-voters to place their ballets is that no matter what the background is, every American’s voice matters. It is vital that everyone expresses their political views and opinions, especially in today’s times, with a broader spectrum for freedom of speech than ever before.

About the Writer
Shreya Mishra, Social Media Lead
Shreya Mishra is a freshman at South Forsyth High School, and is exceptionally excited to be working on the journalism staff this year. She enjoys creative writing, opinion writing, and photography. Out of school, she is an extremely passionate dancer of 7 years, and an artist since she could write. Shreya has won many competitions for public speaking, and plans to grow her debating and speech-giving throughout school. When she grows up, Shreya wants to go into business marketing or journalism. She loves hanging out with friends, and shopping. A new piece of clothing could put a smile on her face any day! Aside from that, she is very caring and her close friends mean the world to her; she couldn't live without them. She loves learning new things, and cannot wait to blossom as a writer in this year’s Journalism class!

Feel free to contact her at:

@smishrabirdfeed on twitter

or [email protected]