• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

Point-counterpoint: Promposals, the next big thing

Lucy Taylor, left, asks Anvitha Bommineni, right, to Prom through a promposal saying

Lucy Taylor, left, asks Anvitha Bommineni, right, to Prom through a promposal saying "Of all the fish in the sea, I'm so glad you swam with me. Whale you go to prom with me?"

Alyssa Freyman

Alyssa Freyman

Sierra Wamsley, Staff Writer

Prom is just around the corner and promposals have begun. Every once in a while, crowds of students gather in the hallways to witness witty and cute promposals. Guys sometimes hold up posters with puns, while others bring balloons and throw confetti upon popping the big question. Some girls wonder what kind of promposal their boyfriend, best friend, or crush will give or get.

Promposals are one thing students at South are accustomed to. Every March and April, guys and girls at South find a date for the dance of the year, prom. However, not many know the origin of this highly thought tradition. 

Sophomore Megan Reynolds coneys her thoughts saying, “I think some punny guy went out one day and asked someone to prom in a really great way and then people started thinking ‘wow, this guy is a genius’.”

Ever since one student decided to ask their girlfriend to prom over a school loudspeaker, promposals have been a hit. Boys everywhere began asking their dates to prom by creating posters and billboard signs with balloons and flowers as accessories. In 2011, these extravagant prom invitations were granted their official name: promposals.

These promposals require work and effort which can easily cause stress and loss of sleep. However, imagine receiving something that is so full of love and kindness as a promposal. For just a few hours a year, you can make a girl or guy feel special by planning a promposal for them. 

“Putting the time and effort into doing something like this for someone else is pretty special,” freshman Kenna Palmer said. “This doesn’t mean that you are together together, it is just something nice to do.”

According to a poll conducted by The Bird Feed, 40% of people asked to prom feel obligated to say yes and 20% say they would not feel obligated. While being asked to prom is a big deal for most students, timid and shy people may not appreciate something that is overly extravagant. Something that is small, simplistic, and straight from the heart may be a better choice. This being said, promposals are meant to be embarrassing in some regard junior Tyler Palmer said. 

“If I could, I would fly a helicopter full of paper with one saying my name on it,” Palmer said. “The person would have to figure out who it is from. However, I would bake a cake and buy balloons that would be filled with questions and my date would have to pop every balloon and find the piece of paper that has my name in it to know who it is from. They would have to go through 16 balloons to find out who it is.”

While some of these promposals may be ‘extra’, the cost can be easily be significantly reduced. Instead of purchasing the most expensive brand of makeup to impress a girl, perhaps buy a cheaper brand or some roses or balloons.

“It is really cool to see what people can come up with and how creative they can be,” senior Jared Honey said.

The more creative a promposal is, the more likely the date is to feel special.

“I don’t think a lot of people go hugely all out or anything,” junior Monica Lichtenwalner explained, “but a cute poster or something would be great and cute. All out would be in front of the school, and that is a little over the top.”

Creative promposals can make the actual day of prom that much more exhilarating. As Palmer says, “Promposals are a good way to interact and show you care and how you feel about them. I think anyone and everyone should do it via promposals. Promposals depend on the person. If you are a go big or go home kind of person and you know the other person likes that kind of stuff, then yes, go all out. It is your promposal to ask.”

About the Contributors
Sierra Wamsley, Associate Editor

Sierra Wamsley is a junior at South Forsyth High School. She is beyond thrilled for her third year year on The Bird Feed staff. When she is not working hard on her school studies, you can find Sierra splashing in the pool or writing a new story. She will be continuing on the South Forsyth Swim and Dive Team for the third year in October. Whenever you run into her, she’ll always have a big smile on her face and a positive attitude. Sierra spends the majority of her free time engaged in music whether it be the Piano or Violin or Choral Music. She enjoys jamming out to pop music with her brothers in the car on weekends. One item that has always been on her bucket list for the future is visiting Greenland. You can reach Sierra on Twitter at @wamsley_sierra or email her at [email protected] .

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Alyssa Freyman is a senior and is joining the journalism staff for her third year. You can usually catch her at a local bookstore or coffee shop, getting her caffeine fix. In her spare time, she enjoys jamming out to Coldplay and 70’s and 80’s rock or watching Netflix. Her latest binge-watch is That 70’s Show, and she is currently re-watching Parks and Rec. She believes that Disney movies are always a good idea. Alyssa is currently a member of DECA, National Honors Society (NHS), National English Honors Society (NEHS), and National Latin Honors Society (NLHS). She loves to laugh (mostly at her own jokes). Her friends would describe her as adventurous; she likes to go zip-lining and rock-climbing. Don’t ask her what her favorite book is; she loves them all. She enjoys taking photography, filming, traveling, and cheering on the Chicago Cubs. You can contact her at [email protected].