The Eras Tour is currently the most popular live show in the world, and the digital release on October 13, 2023. The pre-recorded version of the tour broke several box office records.
Taylor Swift Eras Tour – Arlington, TX – Folklore act 1/ Paolo V/ Wikimedia Commons/ CC BY 2.0

‘Flashbacks in a Film Reel’: the Eras Tour Movie Takes us Back to the Concert

For the past 3 years, Taylor Swift fans have been fed with constant releases from their favorite artist. The 33-year-old singer-songwriter has been a constant content machine through surprise album releases, rerecordings, and a record-shattering global stadium tour.

The global stadium tour, better known as the Eras Tour, is one of the most phenomenal performances put on by an artist in ages. Swift’s Eras Tour is a three-hour show spanning over 10 albums and 15 years in music.

When the star announced her global tour in November of 2022, the demand for tickets surpassed the supply, and after (literal) trials and tribulations with ticketing websites, many fans were never able to secure tickets for her show.

However, for several of her previous tours, Swift has chosen to accompany the end of the tour with a tour documentary. This documentary is essentially just a recorded version of the concert for fans who may have never gotten a chance to see the live show or for those who want to relive the experience all over again. This tour was no different. Following the end of the United States leg of her Eras Tour, Swift announced that she would be releasing the Eras Tour Movie on Oct 13, 2023, for her fans across the globe.

The movie gives fans who may never be able to attend the live show a chance to see their favorite artist’s most ambitious endeavor yet, and if you’re expecting a normal theater experience for this movie, then you’re in for a surprise.

On October 13, fans flooded movie theaters across the country in their sparkliest outfits while singing and dancing along to all the songs to emulate the concert experience all over again. Many also participated in all the iconic concert chants that make part of being a Swiftie fun.

The movie starts the same as the concert and follows the journey through her Lover, Fearless, Evermore, Reputation, Speak Now, Red, Folklore, 1989, and Midnights eras. Just like how the concerts had two surprise acoustic songs, the Eras movie was no different, and the two surprise songs for the movie were ‘Our Song’ and ‘You’re on Your Own Kid.’

Although those songs did make it into the movie, Swift did cut some songs from the concert to stay within the time constraints of the movie. The songs “The Archer”, “no body, no crime”, “Long Live”, “Wildest Dreams”, and “cardigan” were all cut from the film.

Whether you attended the concert in person, or plan to experience it in theaters, the movie does a great job of encapsulating the vibe and atmosphere of the concert and leaves viewers feeling as if they were in the stadium themselves. The added visual effects to symbolize each era are a sweet touch, and the incorporation of the tour visuals is great for those who attended the tour but may not have been able to view the extravagant visuals from their seats.

At its core, The Eras tour is a homage to Swifties, and Swift herself knows this. The film’s ending features a message from Swift saying, “Thank you for the most generous, thoughtful, loving fans on the planet. This is all because of you and for you.”