• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

10 easy DIY Valentine’s Day gifts

Candied chocolate in the form of a heart to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Photo from frgglerawker_03 via Flickr under Creative Commons License

Anna Hicks, Online Editor

Since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, many of us are scrambling to buy the perfect last minute gift. Here are some simple gifts you can make in just a few minutes at home.

1. Pic Collage

Need a cheap but heartfelt gift for your Valentine? Show them how much you appreciate them by gathering some of your favorite photos together and create a collage. To spice it up, add some stickers or even form the pictures in the shape of a heart. This is the perfect gift for boyfriends/girlfriends, mom, or even your bff. Click here for a guide on how to make this.

2. Heart Shaped Treats

There is no better way to show someone you love them than with a sweet, home-baked treat! Make vanilla cupcakes and then decorate with pink, red, and white icing for a tasty and festive looking gift. This gift is perfect for everyone who loves cupcakes. Click here for a recipe.

3. Candy Box

This candy box is a fun, creative way to send your Valentine a special message. It is super simple to make and all the items needed to make it should be easy to find around the house. First, find an empty box and write a message at the bottom. Then fill the box with candy and decorate the outside and your done! This gift is the perfect way to let your crush know you like them. Click here to see how to make it.

4. Fortune Cookie Cards

These fortune cookie cards are an impressive way to show someone how you feel about them. It’s the perfect gift for all ages and it’s easy to make for many people. All you need for this is some colorful paper, glue & scissors, and a short, thoughtful message. Click here to learn how to make them.

5. 52 Reasons Card Deck

With this DIY you can give your Valentine not just one card… but 52! This gift will be sure to let them know exactly why you like them in a unique way. This gift is great for a boyfriend or girlfriend and will be sure to set the bar high. For instructions on how to make it, click here.

6. Paint Sample Cards

Paint sample cards are the perfect place to put a I <3 U or XOXO. Stamp a message on or write your very own. Use these cards as bookmarks or display them somewhere for everyone to see. An easy and simple way to spice up the normal Valentine’s Day card. Click here to see how to make them.

7. Banana-gram

These bananagrams are a cute and simple way to send someone you love a message. Perfect for children, siblings, or even parents – just put the banana in their bag for a sweet surprise at lunch. Click here to see how to make this.

8. Chalkboard Mug

This gift requires a bit more money and effort, but is the perfect gift for a coffee or tea lover. Just find a plain mug, wrap a chalkboard sticker around it, and draw hearts on it to show them how much you love them. Click here for instructions on how to make it.

9. Origami Hearts

Nothing says I love you like a homemade original origami heart. This simple and cute gift is great for anybody this Valentine’s Day. Don’t be intimidated by the origami, click here for a tutorial. Just grab some colorful paper and start folding!

10. Pre-Planned Date Nights

For those couples who can never decide on a place for date night – this gift is for you! It’s an easy and quick gift that will be useful for months to come. Just write down 10-20 date ideas and combine them for a pre-planned date book. You can even decorate each page to make it look pretty. Click here for some ideas to get started.

About the Writer
Anna Hicks, Online Editor

Anna is a freshman and is excited for her first year as a part of The Bird Feed. She has been a competitive gymnast since she was six years old and loves to be active. In her spare time she enjoys reading, being with her friends, and listening to any kind of music. Her favorite shows to binge on Netflix include Quantico, Riverdale, and That 70’s Show. She is a lover of all things science and one day aspires to work in the medical field. Some of her wildest hopes and dreams include traveling the...