Club Profile: Muslim Student Association

On March 19th, the Muslim Student Association gather for a group photo on the first day of the Muslim Interscholastic Tournament (MIST). Photo used with permission from the Muslim Student Association.

Elijah Cho, Opinions Section Editor

Number of Members: About 20 members

Date of Meetings: Every 2nd and 3rd Wednesday of the month in Room 1328; from 3:50- 4:30 after school.

Leaders: Ola Mohammad

Club Sponsor: Mr. Thompson 

Achievements:

• Last year, 7 members made it to the National Muslim Interscholastic Tournament (MIST).

Requirements: Students must pay a $15 fee for club shirts and other expenses.

Description: Founded by Mariah Zia in 2013, the Muslim Student Association represents the Muslim community of the school and the local area. Ola Mohammad, the president of the club says “We do a lesson every meeting talking about the Muslim community in the local area”. Towards the 2nd semester, the MSA prepare for competitions like MIST, by training its competitors in one of the many subcategories within 6 different branches: arts, knowledge, sports, writing and oratory, group projects, and brackets. Currently, the MSA plans to have a guest speaker from the Islamic Speakers Bureau visit the school to speak with the club. The MSA welcome all Muslims and non-Muslims to join as the association’s goal is to not exclude other groups or religions from thoughtful conversation.