8 prom movies to binge watch before the big night

Kayleigh Emberton

The end of the year is quickly approaching and you and your friends have settled down for a pre-prom sleepover full of laugh, jokes, and popcorn. With the soft fabric of your pajamas wrapped around your skin, the group begins to contemplate about which movie to watch. And so the age old question lingers, which movies are best for prom?

Kayleigh Emberton, Senior Editor

Grease (1978)

Grease is a romantic musical that is set in the 1950’s. Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) run into each other at the beach during summer break. The American boy and Australian born girl fall in love, until their relationship is cut short when summer ends. Danny returns to Rydell High School and viewers are introduced to the T-Bird and Pink Ladies, two gangs that seem to run the school. The crews meet up on the first day back at school, and suddenly Sandy enters, who coincidentally transferred to the same high school as Danny. Trying to sustain his reputation and win Sandy’s heart presents Danny with many challenges throughout the movie.

Youtube Movies

Footloose (1984)

Footloose is a romantic drama set in a small Midwestern town. The culturally strict town outlaws dancing and rock music. Ren McCormack (Kevin Bacon), a city kid from Chicago, has a case of culture shock when he finds that his favorite past time is outlawed.  Ariel Moore (Lori Singer), is the daughter of the man responsible for the law which prohibits dancing. Her strict minister father and jealous boyfriend keep her on a tight leash. When Ren meets Ariel, her gorgeous looks and outgoing personality convince him not to leave the culturally restricting town. Ren, after substantial self-exploration, finds that most of the town’s students want the rule repealed. Only he has the guts to protest the law in hopes of repealing it before the upcoming senior prom where he hopes to steal Ariel’s heart.

Movieclips Trailer Vault

Can’t Buy Me Love (1987)

Ronald Miller (Patrick Dempsey) is the owner of neighborhood lawn care service. Ronald has been a nerd his entire life and has never been noticed by the popular kids. In one last desperate attempt to be popular, he pays Cindy Mancini (Amanda Peterson) $1000 to date him and help make him popular. Cindy is the most popular girl in the school and needs the money to pay for a new dress after she ruined her first one. Both their problems appear to be solved by this deal. As Ronald explores the path of popularity, everything is not what he imagined. When classmates figure out the deal he has made with Cindy, things go south. Everyone begins to turn on one other. In this rom-com, Ronald pays the price for popularity.

Carlos Netto

Mean Girls (2004)

Mean Girls is a comedy movie that outlines the clichés of high school. Cady Herrin (Lindsey Lohan) moves to North Shore High School from Africa, where she befriends Janis Ian and Damian Leigh who educate her about the various groups that constitute the school’s social scene. They warn her to steer clear of The Plastics. When Regina George (Rachel McAdams), the leader of the group, takes interest in Cady, drama begins to unfold at North Shore High. This movie provides plenty of insight on cliché high school activities. The movie highlights many of the cliché ideas involving high school. Cady attends parties, prom, and even participates in the talent show. Cady also juggles a crush she has on Regina’s ex which causes a disastrous set of events involving the plastics.

movieclips Trailer Vault

She’s All That (1999)

She’s All That is a movie about Zach Tiler (Freddy Prinze Jr.), a high school jock, who is admired by the entire school. After his cheerleader girlfriend dumps him, Zach’s popularity begins to fade and he realizes that he needs something, or someone, to maintain his former status. Dean Sampson, Jr. (Paul Walker) and Zach start a bet to get the school nerd and art student, Laney Boggs (Rachael Leigh Cook), to fall in love with Zach in a six-week period. After many attempts, Zach gets Laney to hang out with him, and eventually Zach and Laney begin to fall in love. The two hang out more frequently and enjoy one another’s company until prom night, when everything falls apart and the nature of the bet is revealed. Zach works hard to gain back Laney’s trust, but will she award him it?

Youtube Movies

Back to the Future (1985)

Back to the Future is a sci-fi film that begins when Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox), a local high school kid, and Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd), a crazy scientist get involved in a crazy scheme. Their experiment quickly goes south and they wind up being transported to the 1950s. He encounters his parents in the past and must make sure that they meet and fall in love or else he will disappear. If that wasn’t enough to worry about, Marty has to return to the present to save Doc from being shot in a parking lot. This is only the first of four different movies. Each is set in a different time period with each one more intriguing than the last.

Movieclips Trailer Vault

High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008)

East High is preparing for a basketball championship, prom, and senior graduation. With so much on their plate, high school sweethearts Gabriella Montez (Vanessa Hudgens) and Troy Bolton (Zach Efron) try to make every moment count, knowing that their future together is up in the air. The conflict between Troy and Gabriella has everyone contemplating the likelihood of their future together beyond high school. Watch the Wildcats as they venture into their last year at East High with many twists and turns.

Ashley Tisdale