Members attend the National Honors Society Induction Ceremony

Photo used with permission from David Mullis

Students stand to take the NHS pledge, led by Katie Madden. Parents watch from the back of the Dining Hall, taking pictures.

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

On the evening of October 24th, junior and seniors who were invited to join the National Honors Society (NHS) attended the annual Induction Ceremony. Students arrived at the War Eagle Dining Hall at 5:20, wearing formal dresses and suits. After signing in, students were given an assigned seat based on last name in alphabetical order. Parents, family members, and friends were seated in the back of the room, cameras ready to capture newly inducted students cross the stage.

The National Honors Society was established in 1921 by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) as an organization to recognize and honor high school students that show excellence in knowledge, scholarship, service, leadership, and character. The organization grew to about 1,000 chapters by 1930 with the leadership of Dr. Edward Rynearson, who at the time was the principal of Fifth Avenue High School in Pittsburgh. Today, the organization has spread to all of the 50 states of America, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Canada.

The NHS ceremony on Tuesday night started at 6 o’clock with a welcome speech made by the principal, Laura Wilson. This was followed by a speech made by Kevin Denney, the NHS Advisor and IB Coordinator, who described the honor and importance of being invited into the National Honors Society. Zoe Maisel, the president of NHS, also introduced inductees to the program. Five blue candles were lit during the ceremony which represented the expectations for NHS member: knowledge, scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Speeches were made by officers as each candle was lit. Afterward, a poem called “Preamble to the tapping” was given by Maisel. 243 students waited for their names to be called by Kevin Denney, and walked up to the front of the room to shake hands with Laura Wilson and the president of NHS. A pledge was led by Katie Madden, the Vice-President, which officially inducted students into the organization. Zoe Maisel approached the stand once more and congratulated the new members for meeting and exceeding the NHS requirements. Kevin Denney gave closing remarks, and said that NHS will meet for the first time with its new members in the PAC on November 1st at 8am. Afterwards, students picked up their certificates. There are currently 400 members in NHS, which comprises about 23% of the juniors and seniors who attend South Forsyth High School.

Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service,” writes The National Honors Society. “Four main purposes have guided chapters of NHS from the beginning: to create enthusiasm for scholarship; to stimulate a desire to render service; to promote leadership; and to develop character in the students of secondary schools.”