Shree Delwadia

Spooky season. Halloween is an annual tradition in the United States and many people purchase expensive costumes, increasing sales for costume stores. However, Party City is not the only place to purchase a costume; DIY costumes are an easy way to save money and still have a killer costume!

Easy Halloween Costumes – A guide for students, by students

October 27, 2019

Whether it’s visiting a haunted house with friends, trick-or-treating around the neighborhood or having a party, Halloween is a holiday for every age. While most teens don’t typically go around door-to-door anymore, there are still many activities that require an on-the-spot costume, such as a last-minute party or event. Halloween is on a Thursday this year on a school week, leaving already overwhelmed teens almost no time to actually make a costume. Besides, many of the premade store costumes are way too expensive and flashy to ever wear again, making them a one-time-use cost. However, there are many ways to take ordinary items from a closet or basic tees and accentuate them with removable accessories, making costumes easy, thrifty, and reusable.

Food and Drink Costumes

For Halloween, costumes relating to food and drinks are a common choice for many. However, some costumes in stores might be too expensive for just one costume party. In order to save money, check out some of the costumes below that are designed with DIY materials and simple clothing items that can be found around the house or even borrowed from a friend. Hover over the plus symbols to see the different parts of each costume and where to find them or make them. With bright colors and creative designs, these fun food and drink costumes are sure to be one of the winners of any Halloween party!

Spooky Costumes

Boo! From haunted houses, corn mazes, and horror movies, Halloween is full of scaring and getting scared. Wearing costumes that are spooky and ghost-like is a great way to show your scary spirit! Below is an interactive infographic with different costumes made up of cheap items that you might even have around the house already. Hover over the plus signs to see a description of the item and where you can buy it.

Pop Culture and Meme Costumes

With VSCO girls and E-boys, there are scrunchies, hydro flasks, and black clothing everywhere you look. Apps like TikTok and Instagram influence society and are a place where the funniest and most memorable memes begin. Check out the interactive infographic below and hover over the plus signs to create your own fun, cultured, and easy Halloween costume

Superhero Costumes

No matter which side people fall on within the spectrum between Marvel and DC, there’s a superhero out there for everyone. The following guide shows some easy superhero costumes:
[/infographic]

Couple Costumes

Since Halloween is around the corner, a great date night activity is going trick-or-treating together. There are a multitude of costumes to select from for you and your significant other and below are just a few of those options. Many of the costumes below contain materials that you might already own, making the costume even cheaper. The costume is designed to be quick and easy to make, so you are your S.O can go enjoy the scary and fun night of Halloween!

Disney Costumes

No one’s ever too old to be a Disney character. We’ve all grown up with our favorites and can still pay homage to them without looking like a 5-year-old every Halloween. The infographic below shows some ways to make an easy Disney character costume through parts that you can find at home.

[/infographic]

About the Writers
Naisha Roy, Copy Editor
Naisha Roy is elated to continue her fourth year on The Bird Feed as a senior. As the Copy Editor, she hopes to help every member on staff find their unique voice and transform into journalists. She loves acrylic painting, trying to master different cuisines, and stationery. She also interns for the NRI Pulse, an online newspaper where she hopes to gain experience for her dream job as a journalist for the New York Times. Her current obsessions include Queer Eye and Indo-Chinese food. An avid Marvel watcher, she loves binging shows like Loki in her free time. She hopes to make her last year at The Bird Feed an absolute blast. You can contact Naisha at [email protected].
Shree Delwadia, Editor-In-Chief
Shree Delwadia is excited to be part of The Bird Feed as a senior! This year is her fourth year on staff, and she cannot wait to take on her new responsibilities as the Editor-In-Chief. By working on the staff as a writer and an editor, she has learned a variety of communication, teamwork, and accountability skills that she will take on to other roles in her life. At school, she is a part of MDJunior, Beta Club, and UNICEF.  In her spare time, she loves spending time with her friends and family or discovering new things to do. Two of her ride-or-die tv shows are Grey’s Anatomy and Friends. Moreover, Shree has a strong interest in medicine and hopes to pursue a career in healthcare one day. You can contact her via twitter @ShreeDBirdFeed or using her email [email protected].
Maggie Craig, Editor-In-Chief
Maggie Craig is currently a senior at SFHS and is super excited to be this year's Editor-in-Chief for The Bird Feed. If she isn’t writing stories, you will find her jamming out on her guitar or ukulele. She is a performer at heart and is a member of the voice company at RISPA. Maggie loves musicals such as Waitress and Miss Saigon. In her spare time, she binge-watches anime and plays on her Nintendo Switch. Never hesitate to approach her and say hello because she loves meeting new people. You can contact her through her email @[email protected] or through her Twitter @Smrcraig108.

The Bird Feed • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in