The Tree of Life. German students prepare uniquely designed egg shells, to decorate the tree located outside of West Hall at South Forsyth. The German tradition has been practiced for decades in German tradition, in which a delicate, complex procedure was done to obtain a perfect eggshell ornament. The fortunate students in German club were given the chance to obtain a taste of German culture by practicing this interesting tradition.

Tree of Life: A German Tradition

April 17, 2019

One usual routine in the German club is, for the class to discuss and learn about the many traditions in German culture. At South Forsyth, Mr. Strecker’s German club tends to participate in hands-on activities. They also host several festivals throughout the year, such as Oktoberfest and the German Christmas Market. For Easter specifically, German students beautifully paint eggshells, using them as ornaments to decorate a tree outside of West Hall at South Forsyth; creating the “Tree of Life”. This activity embodies a German cultural tradition. The eggs represent the season spring, as they are symbols of fertility and birth.

“The tradition of blowing out eggs,” Herr Strecker explains, “decorating the shells, and then hanging them up is a treasured family tradition in German-speaking cultures.”

For this tradition, students blew out eggs by poking 2 holes in the eggs on both sides with a toothpick. Once the egg yolk was broken, each the instructions were to put their mouth on one hole and blow the egg out of the other. After this process, students decorated the eggs with various designs. The final step entailed students to spend one morning hanging the eggs on a sturdy tree.

“This club has made a lasting impact on my life” Kimberly Ohrstrom exclaimed enthusiastically, “and helped me grow tremendously as a person.

As students celebrated these unique German traditions together, they also formed lasting friendships along the way. The after-school club creates an environment that allows students to be themselves, and to enjoy time with their fellow classmates.

“Just like German families bond over decorating eggs together, so do our German Club students,” says Strecker. 

At the beginning of the year, the group wasn’t as enthusiastic about being a part of the club. The majority felt that the curriculum did not encompass enjoyable activities and content. However, as time progressed, it became their favorite part of the day. Students often learn about the traditions of German culture, which adds variety to their academic content of vocabulary and speech. In addition, learning about the cultures in Germany helps prepare students with future explorations of Germany, and aids in their overall understanding of the language.

Strecker says, “Both the IB and the AP German curriculum includes themes revolving around traditions, cultural festivals, etc.”

The German club generates a great community for students and helps plant the seeds for friendships and lessons to endure a lifetime.

The Bird Feed • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in