Defining our Purpose: HOSA 2019 State Leadership Conference

Used with permission from Jennifer Clendenen

Future health professionals. HOSA members attended the the annual State Leadership Conference to follow their passion in medicine. Like past years, this conference has taken place in downtown Atlanta at the Atlanta Marriot Marquis.

Shree Delwadia
(Left to right): Swetha Pendela, Shree Delwadia, Katya Yoo, Krithika Kasireddy. Opening session  in session. Students gathered in front of the atrium ballroom at the Atlanta Marriot Marquis waiting to go into the opening session. The opening session was composed of looking at the new state officers for the following year, the schedule for the week, and an incredible key speaker.

Seven months ago, the date for the 2019 Georgia HOSA SLC was announced and the preparation began. Since then, students have been finding the right competition for them, preparing for the competition, and perfecting their craft. At last, when their skills were drilled into their minds, South Forsyth High School HOSA members competed at the State Leadership Conference. On March 14th, thousands of students were on the at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, getting pumped up for their event, educational symposiums, exhibitors, or workshops. The 47 floors of this outstanding hotel provided a conference and a view that was unforgettable. Throughout the conference, South HOSA members awaited their turn to apply their skills within their competition. Along with competing, members viewed different medical professions and opportunities in today’s healthcare society. SFHS HOSA gathered as one to be part of the next generation of youth empowerment in healthcare.

South Forsyth took over 50 people to the conference this year and no one failed to live up to the standards. The conference started out with early competitions on different medical knowledge tests such as Sports Medicine, Dental Terminology, and Home Health Aide. In the wide range of knowledge tests, senior Lucas Flantzer placed 3rd in Pathophysiology. This event contained a variety of knowledge terms about different diseases and infections. Additionally, freshman Rahav Kothuri, in the event of Pharmacology, and junior Daniya Killedar, in the event of Health Career Display, received third place. Also, junior Saranya Gourisetti brought back a silver medal in Clinical Speciality. Sophomores Siddhi Chitgopkar, Aaryahi Deshmukh, and Havisha Murukuntla, received second place in Biomedical Debate. This event allowed students to explore the different advantages and disadvantages about a certain biomedical topic.

Used with permission from Ved J.
(Left to right): Saranya Gourisetti, Ved Janaki.    Making an impact. Junior, Ved Janaki, believes HOSA to be an influential part of his life. He used this club as an outlet to express his leadership skills and is excited to represent SFHS at the annual International Leadership Conference.

For some students, this State Leadership Conference was close to their last. One junior, Ved Janaki, believes that HOSA was an important aspect of his life; it was something that helped shape his everyday life and who he is now. Placing 3rd in Healthy Lifestyle, he is now bound to make a name for South Forsyth High at the International Leadership Conference.

“HOSA gave me the opportunity to become a better leader and individual, allowing me to work with new people,” said Janaki. “When I heard I placed, I felt proud because all the effort and work I had put into my event had finally paid off. Even though practicing and presenting for my event wasn’t the easiest of jobs, being able to represent South for my actions and hard work made it an amazing feeling.”

The conference impacted many, if not all. SFHS HOSA advisor, Ms. Jennifer Clendenen, believes that this was one of the most prime moments of the year for HOSA students. From the different sessions to workshops, her favorite part of SLC was the Grand Awards Session because she “loved seeing the excitement on students’ faces when they received an award.” She feels that this conference is not only beneficial in a networking sense, but it really shows what students are truly passionate about.

“I feel like the experience of working together and preparing for things on their own, not because they are getting a grade, but because they are interested in it is more rewarding than anything,” said Ms. Clendenen.

Used with permission from Amisha C.
Bringing home the gold. War eagles, Mansi Patel, Amisha Chaudhary, and Ria Peesapati, placed first in the event of Community Awareness. These members prepared for their event by creating a campaign which promotes a healthy lifestyle and brings more awareness to eating disorders.

All in all, this year was one to remember. From bringing home gold to being able to grow new leaders, the 2019 State Leadership Conference has made an impact for every member who participated. The memories ranged from getting to see your friends, being able to explore the different aspects of the immense hotel, visiting different workshops, or even winning a competitive event. This conference helped shaped everyone’s lives to empower them to be the next leader in healthcare. The next stop after the State Leadership Conference is the International Leadership Conference, where South HOSA members will compete with over 10,000 people to win a national title.