An empty room full of potential. 585 South will be the home of the new coffee shop. The room is filled with nice tables covered in tablecloths and comfortable chairs. Customers get the feel for a fancy restaurant while eating at 585 South. (Alyssa Freyman)
An empty room full of potential. 585 South will be the home of the new coffee shop. The room is filled with nice tables covered in tablecloths and comfortable chairs. Customers get the feel for a fancy restaurant while eating at 585 South.

Alyssa Freyman

Coffee Shop gives teachers extra boost of energy

January 16, 2019

Culinary students work behind a counter, serving coffee and delectable breakfast foods to teachers. Calming, coffee house music plays over speakers in the room. Some students come from the kitchen, bringing out freshly baked goods. Teachers sit at tables, enjoying a moment of serenity before the hectic school day starts.

This setting will soon become a reality for South Forsyth High School. Chef Martin and the culinary students are doing everything they can to prepare for this cafe. Whether it’s measuring out different quantities of coffee grounds, decorating the cafe area, or trying new recipes; plans for the cafe are in full swing. Named for the address of the school, 585 will only be open for teachers this year. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, banana bread, lemon cake, and other things that one would typically see at a coffee shop will be available.

“I wanted to do something fun for the teachers” Chef Martin explained. “I also wanted to give my students a unique work-based learning experience. We have this wonderful space and I wanted to utilize it in a manner that could please a large number of people.  The teachers/admin/and other staff work really hard and I wanted to do something for them to hopefully add a little joy in their day.”

The budget for the shop comes from the school; Chef Martin has students meeting standards for the class while making treats for the shop, allowing her to use the money given from the school for the culinary program. Whatever money the culinary program has received for catering is also used towards this project. The students are involved in the process; from making the goods to serving it behind the counter. Through this, they will get experience in the culinary field. Chef Martin is hoping to have a class period next year that is solely dedicated to the cafe so that students can become more involved and there can be more to offer to faculty.

“This will be a fabulous work-based learning experience,” Chef Martin added. “Students will have an opportunity to work front and back of the house, learn management skills, and how to properly cost food items (which I’m finding out that this type of math is difficult for many students). Customer service, serving in a timely manner, and following standardized recipes so it is the same every time is all part of the learning process as well.”

The coffee shop will open every morning from 8:00-8:25. Chef Martin is hopeful that faculty will be able to enjoy the new cafe within the next few weeks.

The Bird Feed • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in