Interviewing a signed-off senior athlete

Back to Article
Back to Article

South and proud. Lauren Baccari stands in front of the South Forsyth High School logo, proud to be on the softball team. She has played softball since she was 4 years old, growing and improving in the sport ever since.

South and proud. Lauren Baccari stands in front of the South Forsyth High School logo, proud to be on the softball team. She has played softball since she was 4 years old, growing and improving in the sport ever since. "With the four years that I have played at South, I obviously improved my physical game with practicing almost every day," said Baccari, "but from this program and the people that have supported me through this process I have improved my character more than anything else and really found who I was as a person through this program."

Photo used with permission by Lauren Baccari

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

South’s softball season ended on Oct 18th, to the dismay of the varsity softball players. They began to realize that some of their teammates will be wearing different jerseys next season as seniors start to sign off with colleges. Lauren Baccari, a senior, shared with us her experience with softball and what she will do with it in the future.

How did it feel during the last South softball game?

Before the start of our last game, I knew there was a chance that this could be my last game. When we lost, it didn’t hit me until the bus ride home, and I thought about how this was my last game playing in my war eagle uniform. I was really sad; I have invested four years into this program. It went by way too fast, but I loved every minute of it.

What school did you choose to sign to? Why did you choose this school?

I chose Berry College to continue my academic and softball career.

Did you have lots of other schools to choose from?

I was deciding between Berry, GCSU, UNG, and Mercer.

How did you improve within softball?

With the four years that I have played at South, I obviously improved my physical game with practicing almost every day, but from this program and the people that have supported me through this process I have improved my character more than anything else and really found who I was as a person through this program.

Did you have to work hard to get to where you are now?

I definitely have had to work hard every day to get to where I am. The recruiting process for softball is tough and starts around the 7th grade. I am not the tallest, fastest, or strongest so I have had to work hard to stand out on the teams I have played on, but it is really nice to see my hard work paying off.

Who would you say is responsible for your success?

I’d give my dad credit for the player I turned out to be today because he has spent countless hours practicing with me and making me a better player. He always says that he is my harshest critic but my biggest fan, and I’m so thankful for all the time and effort he has put in to help me get to this point.

What made want to play softball?

Just like every young kid with older siblings, I started playing softball because my older sister played. However, it slowly became something that I loved.

How many years have you played softball?

I have played since I was 4 so about 14 years.

How does it feel to leave the South softball team?

This team has given me so much on and off the field, and it is definitely a bittersweet ending. I know that my teammates will continue to uphold the principles that our program lives by. It’s sad to know that I will never play with the same group of girls or on the field again, but I wouldn’t trade these past four years for anything.

Are you looking forward to playing for your new college team?

Yes, I am very excited to play at Berry. They have already been so welcoming, and I can’t wait to start this new chapter of my life.

How are you going to prepare for the next softball season at your college?

I am just going to stay true to the process and keep working hard. I’m still playing travel ball, so I will keep getting reps in to prepare me for the next level.

With endings come new beginnings. Lauren Baccari will experience this first-hand, along with the other South athletes, as they change schools and teams in college.

About the Contributor
Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Alyssa Freyman is a senior and is joining the journalism staff for her third year. You can usually catch her at a local bookstore or coffee shop, getting her caffeine fix. In her spare time, she enjoys jamming out to Coldplay and 70's and 80's rock or watching Netflix. Her latest binge-watch is That 70’s Show, and she is currently re-watching Parks and Rec. She believes that Disney movies are always a good idea. Alyssa is currently a member of DECA, National Honors Society (NHS), National English...