South Forsyth’s Indoor Percussion wins 1st place

Back to Article
Back to Article

February 17, 2018 - The South Forsyth Indoor Percussion team gathered for a picture after winning 1st place at the Georgia Indoor Percussion Association (GIPA) competition. Photo used with the permission of Stephen Hendricks and Dixon Pendergrass.

Elijah Cho, Staff Writer

On Saturday, February 17, 2018, the South Forsyth Indoor Percussion won first place in the Georgia Indoor Percussion Association (GIPA) competition at North Gwinnett High School. The SFHS Indoor Percussion performed their show, Inked, against 6 other schools in the division. This performance was based off of several of Beethoven’s pieces including Moonlight Sonata and the Pathetique Sonata, but the songs were rehashed utilizing a modernized rock style. The competition was separated into two sessions, one for all bands to participate, and another for a select numbers of bands who had proceeded to the finals. The final session was held later in the evening (More information about the competition here). South Forsyth achieved 1st place at both of these sessions.

“It was very satisfying and nice to see all of our hard work pay off at the competition.” said freshman Paul Nguyen.

Under the leadership and support of Allan Justus, Joe Donahue, Taylor Green, Adam Gardener, and Katherine “KC” Stanley, the Indoor Percussion musicians dedicated 6 months of rigorous practice and preparation before they finally presented their show, Inked, for the panel and audience.

“We put hundreds of practice into the show during rehearsals, and it was gratifying to see all of our efforts rewarded.” said sophomore Sanjana Menon.

Amazingly, this was the first competition that this group has participated in and South can now look forward to the future achievements and victories of the Indoor Percussion students. Another performance will be  hosted by North Paulding High School on March 17, a third show will be presented at Lambert High School on March 24. Indoor Percussion finals will take place on April 14, however, the exact location has not yet been decided (More information about future dates here).

About the Writer
Elijah Cho, Opinions Section Editor

Elijah Cho is a sophomore in South Forsyth High School and is very grateful to be able to be in the Journalism group once again. Despite deciding to fully focus on academics instead of joining marching band this year, he’s still doing his best to push through the difficult classes in his second year like AP World History. He loves to write short stories in his free time while listening to video game and anime soundtracks like Professor Layton or Undertale (when he’s not too busy obsessing over...