A Successful Senior Night: War Eagles Win Last Home Stadium Game of 2022

Before+kick-off%2C+Senior+athletes+lined+up+to+be+celebrated+at+the+final+football+game+of+the+2022+season.+The+War+Eagles+were+ultimately+victorious+against+West+Forsyth%2C+clinching+a+spot+in+the+statewide+playoffs.+%28Brady+Lynn+%2F+The+Bird+Feed%29+

Before kick-off, Senior athletes lined up to be celebrated at the final football game of the 2022 season. The War Eagles were ultimately victorious against West Forsyth, clinching a spot in the statewide playoffs. (Brady Lynn / The Bird Feed)

Brady Lynn, Sports Editor

To begin the celebratory night, all senior athletes were highlighted before the game against West Forsyth. Senior student athletes lined up on the sideline with their parents to receive recognition for all their hard work and achievements.

To begin the senior night football game, South’s senior football captains meet in the middle of War Eagle stadium for one last coin toss. South won the toss and decided to kick off to start the first half.

West Forsyth would begin the game with the football. Not getting anywhere, West struggled on their first drive and was forced to punt the ball. This was the narrative for all of the first quarter as the ball went back and forth with a couple crucial missed opportunities on both sides to put points on the scoreboard.

After 12 minutes South would be tied with West Forsyth 0 – 0 to end the first quarter.

The game did not shift much following the break, as both teams continued to struggle to make things happen. West Forsyth had the football in the closing minutes of the second half. To put the first points on the board, South senior James Margiotta got an interception returned for a touchdown to close the half.

Entering the halftime festivities, South led West Forsyth 7 – 0. 

To enter the second half, West Forsyth kicked the ball off to start. Not wasting any time, South scored on the first kickoff back from halftime, which was returned by senior wide receiver Chris Nelson, putting South on top 14 – 0.

Following the score, West Forsyth got stopped on their first possession and was forced to punt. But once again, South’s stellar special teams unit stepped up again as senior Cole Williams blocked the punt and set up an easy field goal, putting South up by 3 more points.  The War Eagles were now officially winning 17 – 0. 

As the clock hit zero to end the 3rd quarter, senior BCP members and all spectators got ready for the last black out bash of the 2022 season, as the stadium lights went out and the flash lights came on. Music played as the stands lit up for an amazing view.

As the field lit up again, West Forsyth tried what might have been a comeback as they scored to start the quarter, bringing the score to 17 – 7 in favor of South. This effort was quickly countered as South’s senior quarterback Ty Watkins led the offense down the field on the next drive.

To finish the game, senior Chris Nelson scored his second and final touchdown, cementing the score at 24 – 7 and awarding South Forsyth the victory. This win meant everything to athletics at South, bringing joy to the senior players, cheerleaders, band members, and their peers in the student section.

The senior athletes’ last game at War Eagle Stadium could be remembered as a win, a memory both players and supporters will cherish for years to come.