Comedian and “Full House” Star Bob Saget Dies at Age 65

Used from Sharon Graphics via Flickr under Creative Commons

Bob Saget and John Stamos. On “Full House”. John Stamos plays Jesse Katsopolis, the brother-in-law to Bob Saget’s Danny Turner. Stamos was devastated when they announced Saget’s death and said on Instagram, “I’m not ready to accept that he’s gone – I’m not going to say goodbye yet.”

Sayna Kaushik, News Editor

On January 9th, 2022, the world lost a great comedian and actor when Full House’s Bob Saget died at the age of 65.

Saget was best known as cleanliness-obsessed, ultra-supportive father Danny Tanner on the popular sitcom Full House (1987) and Fuller House (2016).

His body was discovered in his hotel room at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando, Florida.  Saget was in Florida beginning his standup tour, I Don’t Do Negative.  Authorities have confirmed there was no foul play or drug use involved in his death.

A graduate of Temple University Film School, Saget began his career in improv and stand-up comedy.  On January 8th, Saget tweeted his excitement for his upcoming comedy tour.

Kelly Rizo, Saget’s widow, is a blogger, TV host, and model. Her career peaked when she was the host of the award-winning Eat Travel Rock. On January 15th, Rizzo expressed her admiration and love for her late husband.

Saget’s life revolved around many comedic roles, including portraying an older version of narrator Ted Mosby on the famous CBS sitcom How I Met Your Mother. During his career, he made many deep connections with co-stars, especially his onscreen daughter Candace Cameron Bure.

Not only were was Saget’s costars saddened by this news, but so were many fellow comedians. Pete Davidson, an American comedian and actor, remembers Saget as “One of the nicest men on the planet.”

As with many celebrities, Saget’s career wasn’t without controversy.  Much of his stand-up dealt with more adult themes than what audiences saw him interact with on Full House.

Erin Loggins, a science teacher at South Forsyth High School, was extremely saddened by the news of Saget’s passing.  Loggins explained, “I saw him as America’s Dad. I grew up watching that show and I always thought it was cool that he took on the role of the single parent. I think he had a really big impact.”

Despite any controversy, it’s obvious from the  outpouring of grief and support that the world lost a true entertainer and, perhaps, a genuinely good person with Saget’s passing.  He will live on in his body of work, bringing humor and comfort to audiences for generations to come.