How to give back during the holiday season

Photo taken by Clori Rose.

As the holidays and new year gets closer, you can give back to the community by volunteering. Chip, the dog pictured above, was adopted from the Humane Society and given a loving home.

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Photo taken from mealsbygrace.org.

Meals By Grace

People of all ages gather and prepare boxes of food for families in need. Children may sit at tables to design cards and make crafts. Teens and adults have the opportunity to cut fruit, sort out breads and desserts, prepare food in the kitchen, unload canned goods, make laundry detergent, and pack meat and seafood.You can also sign up to deliver boxes to families. Individuals are encouraged to show their support by donating canned goods in the bins found around school this holiday season.

Visit https://mealsbygrace.org/MBG.aspx for more information.

Where: Midway United Methodist Church in the gymnasium

When: From 1:00 to 3:00 on every Sunday, unless specified otherwise

Photo taken from Cumming Local.

Mentor Me

Teen and adult volunteers are paired with an elementary-school student and help them with their homework and reading skills. Some children are Hispanic, so it may help to know some Spanish. Visit www.mentorGA.org for more information.

Where/When: Mondays from 5:00-6:00 PM at Brandywine Elementary. Tuesday 4:15-5:15 at Forsyth Central High School, Thursday from 6:30-7:30 at the Episcopal Church near the Aquatic Center (724 Pilgrim Mill Rd).

Photo taken by Alyssa Freyman

Saturday Academy

Students can volunteer at Saturday Academy to provide academic help to their peers. You can sign up to help in any subject area, and have the opportunity to tutor students and assist them with their assignments so that they are prepared for upcoming tests and quizzes.

Go to https://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/Page/46135 for more information.

When: From 9:00-12:00 on January 27, February 10, March 3, March 17, April 14, April 28, May 12 (dates are subject to change)

Where: In the Media Center at South Forsyth High School

Photo taken by Alyssa Freyman

Literacy Lab

Students have the opportunity to help others with their writing assignments. You may read over writing pieces, including essays and college applications, in order to provide feedback.

Go to https://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/Page/49081 for more information.

When: Monday-Thursday 7:30 AM to 8:30 & 3:45 PM to 4:30

Where: In East Hall near the old attendance office.

Photo taken by Alyssa Freyman.

Cold-Weather Christmas Tree

Winter clothes will be collected school-wide. A Christmas tree has been placed in the counseling suite where students and staff can pick a card. The card will have an item (i.e. gloves, jacket, scarf, etc.) for you to donate. Go to the counseling suite for more information.

When: Now

Where: In the Counseling Suite

Photo taken by Clori Rose

Humane Society

If you love pets, then this could be the volunteering opportunity for you. As a volunteer, you will be walking dogs, photographing shelter animals, hanging out with cats, and grooming the animals. You can even foster animals if you’d like. You must be 16 years or older to volunteer without parent or guardian supervision. You must submit an application to the Humane Society to volunteer daily.

When: About 2 hours a week.

Where: 4440 Keith Bridge Rd, Cumming, GA 30041