Homecoming Dance

October 26, 2021

A glowing night. South Forsyth students party the night away at the HOCO Dance. Faculty and students alike danced to their favorite tunes. (Used with permission from South Forsyth High School)

On Saturday night, the SFHS student council hung colorful lights all over the plaza, passed out glow sticks and even gave out light bulb-shaped cookies to advance the “Light Up The Night” theme of the HOCO dance.

When the gates to the plaza opened, the student body buzzed with excitement as they entered the brightly lit square. The event swelled with school spirit as the students and staff danced the night away to famous throwbacks and catchy tunes.

Sweet treats at HOCO. The Homecoming committee serve light snacks while students dance and socialize. These light-themed cookies excited the crowd and filled many bellies. (Used with permission from Swetha Pendela)

Since SFHS did not host a dance last year due to COVID-19, many students were excited to see what the school planned for the resumed tradition. In 2019, South hosted the dance in the Blue Gym, but to maintain social distancing, the school decided to hold this year’s HOCO in the plaza. The dress code for the dance was semi-formal, and many students dressed in shorter dresses, wore sneakers and went blazer-less to align with the casual vibes.

“The dance was a great high school experience that I got to attend for the first time,” said junior Vivan Tadakamalla. “It was a good welcoming back from my virtual year.”

Not only did South switch up the dance by relocating it, but the school also hired a coffee truck to distribute a variety of items including coffee, smoothies, and more. The school provided one free ticket for every attendee, giving them their choice of drink from the truck. Students clustered in a long line, giddy to get their drinks to quench their thirst from their lively dancing. The coffee truck was a fan favorite and a big success at the dance. Many students hope to see a similar attraction for the Homecoming dance in the future.

Ultimately, South Forsyth High School’s 2021 Homecoming dance truly lit up the night with more than just LEDs. Student smiles illuminated the event as they had the time of their lives after long months of social distancing and cancelled plans.

About the Writers
Maggie Craig, Editor-In-Chief
Maggie Craig is currently a senior at SFHS and is super excited to be this year's Editor-in-Chief for The Bird Feed. If she isn’t writing stories, you will find her jamming out on her guitar or ukulele. She is a performer at heart and is a member of the voice company at RISPA. Maggie loves musicals such as Waitress and Miss Saigon. In her spare time, she binge-watches anime and plays on her Nintendo Switch. Never hesitate to approach her and say hello because she loves meeting new people. You can contact her through her email @[email protected] or through her Twitter @Smrcraig108.
Saanvi Tatipalli, Features Editor
Saanvi Tatipalli (She/Her/Hers) is a junior at South Forsyth High School, delighted to make the best of her third year working with The Bird Feed. As an avid creator, when she’s not honing in on her passions, she’s finding new ones to try out. She absolutely loves to write, make digital art, code, and spend time with her family and friends. Outside of being involved with school clubs and organizations, she enjoys writing for magazines and advocating for causes dear to her heart. She really looks forward to learning more about the world around her and meeting new people this school year!

The Bird Feed • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in