Forsyth County Now Offering Free Covid Testing in Partnership with Mako Medical

Masked+up.+While+many+students+are+finally+adjusting+to+their+daily+school+schedules%2C+there+are+a+large+number+of+students+still+being+exposed+to+COVID-19.+In+order+to+combat+this+exposure+and+make+the+county+safer%2C+Georgia+has+partnered+with+the+Mako+Medical+organization+to+make+a+better+outcome+for+students+and+teachers.+

Used from Unsplash via Creative Commons with permission from Izzy Park

Masked up. While many students are finally adjusting to their daily school schedules, there are a large number of students still being exposed to COVID-19. In order to combat this exposure and make the county safer, Georgia has partnered with the Mako Medical organization to make a better outcome for students and teachers.

Sayna Kaushik, News Editor

Recently, Mako Medical opened a free COVID-19 testing center here in Cumming, Georgia. Mako Medical has partnered with District 2 Public Health to bring this initiative to Central Park, an accessible location to many individuals.

The testing center just opened on September 10th, 2021. Located at 2300 Keith Bridge Rd, Cumming, GA 30040, its hours of operation are from Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. However, one can register online to reduce any potential wait times. 

The location of the COVID-19 Testing Site is embedded below.

This testing site operates as a drive-thru and allows individuals to remain in their car for the duration of their visit. If you need to be tested for school or work purposes in Forsyth County, the lab will provide a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. This is not a rapid test and will require a 36-48 hour wait to get results back. They will be using the nasal swab test for quickness and accuracy.  The test consists of a nasal swab inserted into the nostril to collect fluid from the back of the nose.

Mako Medical is a diagnostic laboratory that offers accurate testing to the community. The company was founded in 2014 and has been recognized by the College of American Pathologists. Their labs have processed over eight million COVID-19 tests so far. Thanks to a grant given by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these testing centers have promised to get Georgia back on its feet and especially help young children who are now struggling in the pandemic.

Children have been known to spread the sickness, like the common cold, amongst themselves quite frequently. Experts hypothesize that COVID-19 will spread similarly to the common cold amongst children, something the world seems to be witnessing currently.

Scientists say it’s important for kids who are too young to be vaccinated to wear masks in public spaces and reduce their time in crowded indoor spaces. Rare cases of serious COVID 19, in which children developed serious lung infections, have recently been on the rise thanks to the Delta Variant.

While children typically do not get as sick from COVID 19 as adults, they can play a major role in spreading the disease.  A former Harvard professor, William Haseltine expressed, “There’s every reason to suspect that this virus, even though it can kill you, behaves pretty much like a cold virus, in terms of transmission. Who drives colds? Children drive colds.”

Josh Arant, Chief Operating Officer of MAKO Medical, confidently asserted, “Research shows regular weekly testing of students and educators reduces the spread of COVID-19 in schools by 50%.” 

Georgia has placed their trust in Mako Medical and its new approach to the COVID-19 situation in Forsyth County. Interested parties can check out their informative flyer explaining further details about the new Central Park testing site.

Registration information can also be found on the District 2 website at phdistrict2.org.