South Forsyth’s wrestling team gains victories against Chattahoochee and Roswell

Photo by Lucy Moon

South wrestler Cole Williams standing neutral with Chattahoochee wrestler Billy Spradlin. Williams takes down Spradlin twice in the first period. In the end, Williams pinned his opponent in one minute and 55 seconds.

Lucy Moon, Staff Writer

On January 23, 2021, South Forsyth’s wrestling team traveled to Roswell High School to wrestle Roswell and Chattahoochee high schools. It was a small event with only one mat, putting all attention on the two wrestlers in the center of the gym. South Forsyth won both duals and qualified as an alternative team for State Duals.

South student Andrew Ferguson and Roswell wrestler Roman Geist. Ferguson takes down Geist in the first period. Eventually, in the second period, Geist pinned Ferguson in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. (Photo by Lucy Moon)

The first dual of the day was against Chattahoochee. Starting at weight 160 pounds, Matthew Meersmen pinned his opponent Matthew Stephen at one minute and 24 seconds. Directly after, Cole Williams also pinned at one minute and 55 seconds. After a few double forfeits, Mikey Meersman wrestled hard but lost by a major decision to Durben Carpenter. Following Meersman, South wrestlers Juan Cruz, Andrew Meersman, Sai Gudipati, and Andrew Ferguson pinned their opponents. South wrestler Connor Case also won by decision. The final team score was 45-15 with South winning.

Cole Williams felt positive about the team’s overall continual progress: “I feel like our team really came together last weekend since we had everyone back from various reasons of being out.” The team hopes to keep this motivation throughout the rest of the season. 

South wrestler Matthew Meersman in control of Chattahoochee wrestler Mathew Stephen. Meersman takes Stephen down in the first period. Meersman was able to pin Stephen in the first period at one minute and 24 seconds. (Photo by Lucy Moon)

South Forsyth faced Roswell in the second and final dual. This dual consisted of only forfeits and pins. South wrestlers Matthew Meersman, Cole Williams, Mikey Meersman, Juan Cruz, Owen Wardle, and Andrew Meersman pinned their opponents, earning 42 total team points (counting one forfeit). Roswell wrestlers Thomas Rhodes, Christian Cartier, Roman Geist, and Tyler Potts pinned their opponents, earning Roswell 30 team points (also including a forfeit). The final score was 42-30- a victory for South.

Senior Juan Cruz viewed this day as successful, but he still awaits a few more changes: “I feel that I could’ve done better as a wrestler; however, for the team, I do believe that we did good overall. I feel that our team needs more discipline and dedication.”

South senior Juan Cruz wrestling Jadon Caddell. Cruz remains on top for the majority of the first period, and then chose down for second period. Cruz pinned Caddell in three minutes and 21 seconds. (Photo by Lucy Moon)

South’s wrestling program is now preparing for Region Championships on February 6. They hope to continue improving so they may show out their best skills at Regionals.