• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

No Notifications Day

Notifications+can+often+distract+students+from+what+is+really+important.+By+turning+off+your+notifications%2C+you+are+tuning+out+unwanted+distractions.+
Notifications can often distract students from what is really important. By turning off your notifications, you are tuning out unwanted distractions.

Grace Drawdy, Social Media

On October 13, 2017 teachers and students of South Forsyth High School were encouraged to participate in No Notifications Day. The goal of this day was to see if you control your technology, or if your technology controls you.

“The whole point of No Notifications Day was to try to raise student awareness on how dependent we are on our electronic devices and to try to empower people to take charge of their own technology,” said Mr. Jeff White, the Instructional Technologist at South Forsyth.

There were 3 separate levels of participation that students were encouraged to participate in: Level 1 was turning off your push notifications, Level 2 was turning off your push notifications and not participating in unnecessary activities like social media and games. Level 3 was the most extreme, challenging students and teachers to leave their phones at home or in their locker or bag to see if they could go the whole day without interacting with their technology.

“I think the concept was great, but I think more people would do it if a prize was involved,” 9th grade Celia Porter said. This day tested students to see if they are too involved with social media, and encouraged them to take a break from the distractions that social media may have on young teens and adults.

About the Writer
Grace Drawdy, Photo/Video Editor

Grace Drawdy is a sophomore and has been apart of The Bird Feed for 2 years. You can find her making a splash at the Cumming Aquatics Center where she is a year round competitive swimmer, or laughing out loud with friends. If you’ve been around Grace, it is guaranteed that you have laughed long and hard. Grace loves to live life loud. She has a passion for serving others through various mission trips. Her heart beats for kids fighting pediatric cancer, and she wants to heal them all. She loves spending time with her friends, but her best friend of all is her dog, Lola, her pride and joy. In a rare moment of downtime, you can can find Grace having a solo dance party or binging Netflix.

You can reach her by Gmail @[email protected] or via Twitter @GDrawdyTheFeed