Safe places with Mr. Reynolds

Sierra Wamsley, Editor-in-Chief

Many student around the world struggle with various mental illnesses. I interviewed many within our campus asking for a teacher they felt was a safe place for them. Numerous students mentioned a 10th grade Literature teacher, Mr. Reynolds. Here is an excerpt of my interview with him.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help

— Mr. Reynolds

“South Forsyth is simply the best school in the area.  I have been at many other schools, and South really does have a great student body and staff. I had/have a love of reading, and teaching allowed me to follow a passion.  Also, very few teachers in my high school stood out as good teachers, so instead of simply complaining about it, I decided to try and be a good teacher.  It’s been a couple of decades, but I am getting there. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  There are MANY people who have similar problems, but they just don’t communicate it to others. I am not judgmental. All of us go through bad times.  Some of us go through really bad times.  To put it mildly, life happens. I get it, and I don’t judge. I understand that bad things happen. I don’t have all of the answers, but I can try to point people in the right direction when I don’t. I make sure that I am prepared for most things of importance, and I try to avoid letting people or unforeseen events steal my happiness. You are going to be let down or hurt at times, but it’s how you handle it that can make a difference.”