• October 3Friday's football theme is White Out

• October 3Forsyth County Drug Summit will take place on the 22nd at the Forsyth County Convention Center

• October 3DECA Be Our Guest Character Breakfast will be on the 20th at Haw Creek Elementary

• October 3The German Club Oktoberfest will take place this Friday

• October 3The PSAT will take place at South on the 10th

• October 3The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time will be performed from the 10th to the 13th

• October 3Students who are at least 17 1/2 years old can now vote

Discovering positive outlets

Anna Hicks

Alyssa Freyman and Anna Hicks

Students at South manage stress daily, whether it be school assignments or outside of school. Students can find a sense of peace through positive outlets. The following students put their include sports, music, clubs, and art: 

Alyssa Freyman
Ashley Amacher is a senior at South and she kick-boxes to relieve stress.

Ashley Amacher, a senior, handles stress by kick-boxing. She does this once a week at Karate Atlanta. She started from the advice of friends, and was hooked ever since.

”You can let out your anger,” says Amacher.

Alyssa Freyman
Pritika Maddi, who is a junior, loves to dance and uses it as an outlet for her stress

Pritika Maddi, a junior, also releases her stress physically. She’s currently a dance instructor, and has been dancing since she was a child. She first got into it from her mother, who was a famous dancer in India.

“She’s my inspiration,” Maddi told us.

Anna Hicks
Abhinav Iyer is a freshman and has found music to be a good outlet to relieve his stress.

Abhinav Iyer, a freshman, plays the saxophone.

“I think being pushed too far out of your comfort zone gets you stressed,” said Iyer, “This is a common occurrence for freshman.”

He practices everyday in class and after school, so he has somewhere where he can feel comfortable. With this much practice, he knows that he is getting better every time he plays. This feeling of accomplishment can help counteract the stress.

Naveen Madhavan is a freshman who has found joy and relief in band and music.

Naveen Madhavan, a freshman, also participates in marching band at the school. He sees music as a way to escape the overbearing thoughts of school and assignments.

“I can clear my mind and just focus on what I’m doing right then,” Madhavan says. “There’s also people there, which removes more stress, as opposed to being by yourself.”

Alyssa Freyman
Grace Tang, a junior, is a part of the Key Club and finds happiness in helping others through her club.

Grace Tang, a junior, is a member of the Key Club, an organization that does community service monthly. Her active schedule fills her day with stress. Key Club relieves her from this.

“Key Club helps me de-stress because I am able to reach out to my community instead of just thinking about just myself,” Tang says. “I am able to focus on my peers and others in my community. This shows me […] I am not alone in the world.”

Alyssa Freyman
Grace Shifflet is a junior at South and is a part of the IB Art class, which she says helps her to relieve her daily stress.

Grace Shifflet, a junior, uses art as a medium to relieve her stress.

“I like art because it’s an escape to all the stress and it’s something I actually like doing.”

She is currently in IB, and enjoys making art with her friends. Her favorite thing to do is paint. Right now, she is working on painting a birdhouse, which is inspired by a famous  artist.

Although stress is a daily struggle for everyone, it can be reduced in positive ways. It is encouraged that students find something that they love which makes them feel good. There are opportunities available around school and the community. If you need advice finding a hobby or want someone to talk to about your stress, visit the counselor suite for help.

<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/G2rVd2Rw3VU” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

About the Contributors
Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Alyssa Freyman is a senior and is joining the journalism staff for her third year. You can usually catch her at a local bookstore or coffee shop, getting her caffeine fix. In her spare time, she enjoys jamming out to Coldplay and 70’s and 80’s rock or watching Netflix. Her latest binge-watch is That 70’s Show, and she is currently re-watching Parks and Rec. She believes that Disney movies are always a good idea. Alyssa is currently a member of DECA, National Honors Society (NHS), National English Honors Society (NEHS), and National Latin Honors Society (NLHS). She loves to laugh (mostly at her own jokes). Her friends would describe her as adventurous; she likes to go zip-lining and rock-climbing. Don’t ask her what her favorite book is; she loves them all. She enjoys taking photography, filming, traveling, and cheering on the Chicago Cubs. You can contact her at [email protected].

Anna Hicks, Online Editor

Anna is a freshman and is excited for her first year as a part of The Bird Feed. She has been a competitive gymnast since she was six years old and loves to be active. In her spare time she enjoys reading, being with her friends, and listening to any kind of music. Her favorite shows to binge on Netflix include Quantico, Riverdale, and That 70’s Show. She is a lover of all things science and one day aspires to work in the medical field. Some of her wildest hopes and dreams include traveling the world and finding the cure for cancer. In addition, Anna is a Christian and is actively involved in her church in choir and youth group.

Keep up with Anna on twitter @ahicksthefeed or contact her directly at [email protected]