Alyssa Freyman

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief

Alyssa Freyman is a senior and is joining the journalism staff for her third year. You can usually catch her at a local bookstore or coffee shop, getting her caffeine fix. In her spare time, she enjoys jamming out to Coldplay and 70's and 80's rock or watching Netflix. Her latest binge-watch is That 70’s Show, and she is currently re-watching Parks and Rec. She believes that Disney movies are always a good idea. Alyssa is currently a member of DECA, National Honors Society (NHS), National English Honors Society (NEHS), and National Latin Honors Society (NLHS). She loves to laugh (mostly at her own jokes). Her friends would describe her as adventurous; she likes to go zip-lining and rock-climbing. Don’t ask her what her favorite book is; she loves them all. She enjoys taking photography, filming, traveling, and cheering on the Chicago Cubs. You can contact her at [email protected].

Taking over the story. Shows like Black Mirror and Man Vs. Wild have been adapted to interactive stories on Netflix. Now, viewers can choose how the story lines go.

Taking over the story on Netflix

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief May 20, 2019

People all over the world turn on their televisions and watch shows and movies. The entertainment captivates them, and they feel as if they themselves are a part of the story. However, there is something...

Continue Reading
Ready to compete. Charlotte Bythwood poses with Chef Martin, one of Souths culinary teachers, and her fellow students on the day of the competition. Bythwood was the first ever Christophe’s Culinary Challenge winner. Her food product, Power Shot, gives consumers quick and long-term energy.

An interview with a Christophe’s Culinary Challenge competitor

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief May 17, 2019

While most students were relaxing during Winter Break and trying to gather the energy to go back to school, one student was making a promotional video for her latest food product. Charlotte Bythwood, a...

Continue Reading
Tossing caps in celebration. For seniors, graduation is just around the corner. A graduation party is a popular way to say goodbye to high school friends and celebrate the new phase of life that they are starting.

Graduation party on a budget

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief May 15, 2019

Seniors celebrate the end of the school year while basking in the summer sun. They dream about the new part of their lives that is fast approaching: college. The moment soon arrives where their friends...

Continue Reading
Sweet Tooth. Sugar is everywhere around us, and can be hard to avoid. By eating minimal amounts of added sugars in processed foods and desserts, you can lower the risk of having diabetes. You can replace desserts with sweet fruits, such as strawberries and mandarins.

Diabetes: the silent killer

Alyssa Freyman and Grace Drawdy May 13, 2019

Every day, we try to eat right. We try to avoid sugar - which can be hard for people now that it is in most foods - and attempt to exercise daily. Even with all of this effort, the International Diabetes...

Continue Reading
Waiting in anticipation. Seniors wait outside of Six Flags, waiting to get on rides and eat at the buffet. The senior class president planned the event.

[Photo] Seniors celebrate at Six Flags

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief May 5, 2019

Continue Reading
The snap heard round the world. The Avengers are tasked with defeating Thanos and bringing back the other half of the population that turned to dust. It will take blood, sweat, tears, and a little time travel to fix what Thanos destroyed.

A Review of The Avengers: Endgame

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief April 29, 2019

People of all backgrounds and ages gather together in a theater to watch the final installment of the infinity saga: Avengers Endgame. They munch on popcorn and sip from their ice-cold drinks, ready for...

Continue Reading
Posing for a royal photograph. Matthew Tesvich and Kiera George stand side-by-side after accepting their titles as Prom King and Queen. Both didnt expect to receive the honor, but were happily surprised for the rest of the evening.

South crowns Prom King and Queen

Alyssa Freyman and Sierra Wamsley April 15, 2019

Students fill Lanier Tech, heading to the dance floor with their friends. Compliments for each other's dresses are heard as the DJ blares out the latest music tracks. April 13th was a night to remember...

Continue Reading
Cooking delicious meal. Making a vegetarian meal is sure to please the people in your friend group or impress your date on the big night.

How to impress your prom date with dinner

Alyssa Freyman and Sadie Rawlings April 12, 2019

It's the big night; teenagers everywhere are getting ready for prom and await the moment to meet up with their friend groups and dates. They finally walk through the doors of a restaurant, ready to eat....

Continue Reading
A stunning piece of art. The Trevi Fountain, which is in Rome, is one of the most popular spots to visit for tourists. For the school trip in 2020, students will get the chance to see the fountain first-hand on Day 3.

A cultural opportunity for students that will make them say “Grazie”

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 26, 2019

Students breathe in the sweet air of Rome, taking everything in. From the Trevi Fountain to the scooters that shoot by and the Leaning Tower of Pisa, they can’t get enough and crane their neck in an...

Continue Reading
Admiring the teams. A wall  of more than 760 football helmets is the focal point when visitors first enter the building. As a person chooses a team, the respective football helmet lights up in green.

Statistics students take football learning to the next level

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 14, 2019

Throughout the school year, students in the statistics classes figure out performance, ability, and probability for athletes and teams of all sports. The workload can be difficult to visualize for those...

Continue Reading
Filled with anticipation. South Forsyths prom is approaching soon on Saturday, April 13th. Some students are preparing for the night by purchasing their dresses, often finding them to be overly expensive.

[Photo] How to rock prom on a budget

Kate Haas, Senior Editor March 15, 2019

Filled with anticipation. South Forsyth's prom is approaching soon on Saturday, April 13th. Some students are preparing for the night by purchasing their dresses, often finding them to be overly expensive....

Continue Reading
Literacy Day on display. Tuesday, March 12 marked the day South Forsyth High School partook in a day surrounding academic discourse and its importance in the classroom environment. Many classes participated in Socratic Seminars and class discussions.

More than a day for books: SFHS Literacy Day

Posters and wallpapers decorated the hallways advocating for Literacy Day on March 12th. Teachers and students have been preparing for this day to come, and now spectators are visiting classrooms and watching...

Continue Reading
Preparing for a new year. Ms. Hunt will take on the challenge of teaching the Mythology and Speech classes. She is excited for these semester-long classes and believes that they will become very popular among students.

New classes for a new school year

Alyssa Freyman, Sierra Wamsley, and Kate Haas March 5, 2019

As students come back to South in the fall, a lot of change will have occurred. New schedules, more challenging classes, and new literature classes. Some will be half semester classes, while others will...

Continue Reading
Reflecting on school safety. Mr. Morlanne is the Assistant Principal at South, and is also in charge of school safety plans. He takes his school safety jobs seriously in order to keep students in a safe environment. I think more people are aware of and concerned about school safety responded Mr. Morlanne. People are willing to talk about it, which is good. Theyre asking questions and they want to know what our policies and procedures are so that they are prepared. So its all about the readiness.

Reflecting on school safety a year after the Parkland shooting

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 4, 2019

The Parkland shooting continues to haunt people, even a year after the event. Students fear a shooting in their own school and having to walk in the same footsteps as Parkland students. In Forsyth County,...

Continue Reading
Band revival. The Jonas Brothers come back together after being split up for about six years. The new single Sucker is just the beginning; the band is rumored to have already recorded 40 to 50 songs.

Jonas Brothers are “Burnin’ Up” with new single

The year is 2005. A group of brothers releases their first album, "It's About Time", grabbing the hearts of teenage girls everywhere. Over the years, they release more music through Disney Channel, have...

Continue Reading
Lining up to bat. Souths boys baseball team is preparing for a new season by fundraising and hitting the field for practice. Players left to right: Peyton Presley, Colby Wheeler, Landon Sims, Jake Witterman, Dylan Mazzei, Cameron Fox, Cole Kliphouse, Tyler Cowan, Steven Thompson.

Looking forward to the upcoming baseball season

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 1, 2019

The crack of a baseball bat hitting a ball echoes through the fields. The crowds of fans and family cheer as the player runs from base to base. He slides into home, winning the game. The South Boy's...

Continue Reading
Models posing on stage. The DECA Prom Fashion Show was on Thursday, January 17th. Audience members got the chance to look at the years most popular prom dresses from RSVP Prom and Pageant and help a good cause. Were raising money for Burts Big Adventure, which is a charity that sends children with chronic and terminal illnesses to Walt Disney World, stated junior Isabel Hui. Thats our huge project this year.

Student models show off this year’s grooviest prom dresses

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief January 28, 2019

Students strut across the stage, adorned in the latest and most popular prom dresses and tuxedos. The audience claps and cheers for those on stage, showing their support. Cameras flash as students makes...

Continue Reading
An empty room full of potential. 585 South will be the home of the new coffee shop. The room is filled with nice tables covered in tablecloths and comfortable chairs. Customers get the feel for a fancy restaurant while eating at 585 South.

[Photo] Coffee Shop gives teachers extra boost of energy

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief January 16, 2019

An empty room full of potential. 585 South will be the home of the new coffee shop. The room is filled with nice tables covered in tablecloths and comfortable chairs. Customers get the feel for a fancy...

Continue Reading
A vacant lot. Trees stand waiting to be bought after school has ended. Every year for the past twenty three years, baseball players stand in the cold, selling trees to help fund their team.  Friday morning early we have all the players and the dads unload the trees. Says Coach bayer,  Usually the lot itself is physically put up the week before and is ready and prepared so once the trees come we can go ahead and replenish the lot and by about noon on black Friday it officially opens.

Baseball team keeps the Christmas tree tradition alive

Alyssa Freyman and Kayleigh Emberton December 8, 2018

Bells and the sound of carolers ring in the air. People walk around, shopping bags filled with gifts wrapped around their arms. Everyone is getting ready for the holiday season. The only thing missing...

Continue Reading

[Photo] College is necessary

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor December 10, 2018

A vacant lot. Trees stand waiting to be bought after school has ended. Every year for the past twenty three years, baseball players stand in the cold, selling trees to help fund their team. "Friday morning...

Continue Reading
Making dreams come true. As the game drew to an end, all the players, cheerleaders, and organizers came together for a picture. The event was a huge success and helped Carter and Carlis dreams come true. I like it a lot because of how fun it is for both the students and faculty, says Nathan Miller, a junior who attended the game.

Making the dreams of Carter and Carli a reality

Naisha Roy, Sierra Wamsley, and Alyssa Freyman December 4, 2018

November 30th, a day students will never forget. Newscasters from CBS set up their cameras, ready to capture the best moments. Students walked into the Arena, wearing blue wristbands and ready to cheer...

Continue Reading
Grouchy Grinch. A movie poster advertising The Grinch hangs outside of AMC theaters at the Collection. The Grinch is the third adaptation of the beloved Dr. Seuss classic, How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Stealing the show: the latest adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief November 30, 2018

People sit in the theater, escaping from the summer heat. Sipping on soda and munching on popcorn, they watch the trailers of upcoming movies. Action movies, comedies, and romance movies fill the screen,...

Continue Reading
The last day of first grade. As the Junie B. Jones cast goes through their final day of first grade, they wave goodbye to the audience and the classroom. The cast worked for months on the show, and it finally paid off. ¨The feeling of being on stage and being a character is so fun,¨ says Alyssa Lucas, a lead actress.

Junie B. Jones is taking audiences back to first grade

Alyssa Freyman and Naisha Roy November 30, 2018

Viewers get to transport themselves back to elementary school with the theater department’s newest musical: Junie B. Jones Jr. Based on the popular kids’ book series, the play features the ups-and-downs...

Continue Reading
South and proud. Lauren Baccari stands in front of the South Forsyth High School logo, proud to be on the softball team. She has played softball since she was 4 years old, growing and improving in the sport ever since. With the four years that I have played at South, I obviously improved my physical game with practicing almost every day, said Baccari, but from this program and the people that have supported me through this process I have improved my character more than anything else and really found who I was as a person through this program.

Interviewing a signed-off senior athlete

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief November 28, 2018

South's softball season ended on Oct 18th, to the dismay of the varsity softball players. They began to realize that some of their teammates will be wearing different jerseys next season as seniors start...

Continue Reading
Seasonings greetings. South Forsyth High School culinary students work in the kitchen to prepare meals for Thanksgiving. Each meal is specially prepared and labelled with each ingredient and allergen. We list the top ten allergens, Chef Martin said, and if they have any other concerns, we address those too.

[Photo] Thanksgiving dinner: Catering dietary restrictions

Sadie Rawlings, Co-associate Editor November 19, 2018

"Seasonings" greetings. South Forsyth High School culinary students work in the kitchen to prepare meals for Thanksgiving. Each meal is specially prepared and labelled with each ingredient and allergen....

Continue Reading
Culinary students at work. Inside South Forsyths culinary kitchen, culinary students prepare the sweet potato casserole. The students have been working on making the dishes since Friday. “I think it’s a great opportunity to help out the community and help out the people who we are serving,” stated Bythewood. “And it’s really fun.

Thanksgiving made easy with Culinary students

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief November 16, 2018

People wake up in the early hours of Nov. 22, preparing for the tolling day ahead of them. They work tirelessly, making sure the perfect Thanksgiving feast is prepared for their family. The turkey, beloved...

Continue Reading
Rho Kappa member makes a difference. Lucas Ramos Gimenez has been spreading the word about voting, trying to get his fellow students to get involved in local politics.

An interview with Lucas Ramos Gimenez

Alyssa Freyman and Kate Haas November 5, 2018

With midterm elections approaching, there is a constant debate of who is the best candidate. At this time of the year, there’s only one way to decide: voting. For the past few weeks, members of the Georgia...

Continue Reading
South creates safe environment for 3rd annual Trunk or Treat

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief October 30, 2018

Children race from one display to the next, trying to gather as much candy as possible. Trunks are decorated with Halloween decorations, some with games that can be played. Everyone is wearing a costume,...

Continue Reading
Souths Softball team makes a grand slam in play-offs

South’s Softball team makes a grand slam in play-offs

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief October 26, 2018

South Forsyth High School has acquired a winning record of 10-14 this season and is preparing for the playoffs. Coach Davis’ goal for the team is “to perform as a team at a high level to give ourselves...

Continue Reading
Symbol of school spirit. Jordan-Hare Stadium overlooks the Auburn campus, hosting many home games for the Auburn TIgers. The stadium was built in 1939, nearly eighty-three years after the school was founded.

Making the most of college tours

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief October 25, 2018

High school students walk onto a college campus for the first time, taking in the feeling of life as a student there. College students walk from class to class, lounge around on chairs and lay on lawns,...

Continue Reading
Picture-perfect princesses. In the cafeteria of Haw Creek Elementary, DECA members volunteer and dress up as Disney characters. The purpose of the breakfast event was to raise money for Burts Big Adventure. DECA was able to raise a large sum of money for the charity organization.

South’s DECA hosts A Magical Morning

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief October 22, 2018

Children walk into the cafeteria of Haw Creek Elementary, adorned in princess gowns and superhero costumes. They sit at one of the tables in the back, eating pancakes and other breakfast foods. Some little...

Continue Reading
German foreign exchange, Lara Herrmann, gives a presentation to the journalism class on the popularity of Schlager Music in Germany.

German students take on SFHS

Students arrive at the Atlanta airport, 4,671 miles away from their homes in Leipzig, Germany. This is their first tour of America, visiting Washington, D.C. a couple of weeks before. They meet their student...

Continue Reading
The Forsyth County library hosted lectures on the classic books pictured above. These lectures were hosted by the Great American Read tv show, which encourages people to revisit the classics and explore the hidden meanings in them.

Forsyth County Library celebrates classics

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief October 15, 2018

You’re sitting at a table in your house, engrossed in the novel in your hands. You don’t fully understand what’s happening, and the secret meanings behind the work go right past you, but you, for...

Continue Reading
Taylor Swift performs Getaway Car at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

More Concerts, Less Money

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief September 14, 2018

Atlanta is one of the hottest spots for concerts, especially since the Mercedes-Benz Stadium opened last year. Artists like Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Jay-Z have or are planning to perform there,...

Continue Reading
Essentials for all kinds of vacations

Essentials for all kinds of vacations

Lauren Bunker and Alyssa Freyman May 21, 2018

The sun beats down on students as they relax on their vacation. Little kids toss around beach balls and seagulls circle looking for their next meal. In the city, students shop and laugh with friends as...

Continue Reading
Transitioning from high school to college can often be a hectic and chaotic time. Below, a college student can find the perfect style for his or her dorm room.

Dorm room decorating made easy

Graduating seniors take a new and fresh step into the beginning of adulthood when attending college. Harder classes, new friends, tight money budgets, and less time for friends and family come with the...

Continue Reading
Eleven graduation gifts that won’t break the bank

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief May 15, 2018

Need some helping picking out the perfect gift to send off a graduating friend or family member to college? Here are some ideas that won't burn a hole in your wallet.   Photo used from www.crock-pot.com 1....

Continue Reading
Jared Honey poses for a picture with his date to prom, Hannah Hausler. He asked her on her birthday, which made the day extra special to remember. The two have been dating for a year and are excited to go to prom together for the second time.

Point Counterpoint: Extravagant promposals are not worth the expense

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief April 3, 2018

In 2001, the first promposal was recorded. Two students had asked girls to prom over the school loudspeaker while singing an edited version of “The Wedding Singer”. Since then, promposals became the...

Continue Reading
Zoe Maisel (left), Jada  White (center), and Ginny Flory (right) pose for a photograph after performing their poems at the Music Authoritys first ever poetry slam. After preparing for months, they were able to amaze the audience with their powerful words. Jada White earned second place in the competition.

Students speak out at Forsyth County’s first Poetry Slam

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 30, 2018

A large crowd of people gather in a small room, some stand against the room's white brick walls, while others are seated around the stage. The National English Honor Society Poetry Slam was the first...

Continue Reading
Lucy Taylor, left, asks Anvitha Bommineni, right, to Prom through a promposal saying Of all the fish in the sea, Im so glad you swam with me. Whale you go to prom with me?

[Photo] Point-counterpoint: Promposals, the next big thing

Sierra Wamsley, Editor-in-Chief April 7, 2018

Lucy Taylor, left, asks Anvitha Bommineni, right, to Prom through a promposal saying "Of all the fish in the sea, I'm so glad you swam with me. Whale you go to prom with me?"

Continue Reading
Four students at South Forsyth High School were recognized in the New York Times for their work. The New York Times building, which is located in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, was completed in 2007.

South students earn honorable mentions from New York Times

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 6, 2018

This past month, four students from South Forsyth High School were given recognition for their work. Seniors Zoe Maisel, Andrew Reilly, Santhosh Saravanan, and Emma Wigington all had their essays mentioned...

Continue Reading
The JV Volleyball takes a group picture during the tournament. The players have been preparing for tournaments since December, and were able to show their hard work at The First Ladys Challenge.

Volleyball team spikes the competition

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief March 2, 2018

While most students were reclining in their couches and enjoying the long weekend, the Prolink Volleyball team was strapping on their sneakers. The team faced other groups in the state including A5, GA5,...

Continue Reading
Schools used to be a place of safety in America. The shooting in Parkland, FL, a high school recognized for its high achievement, signifies that no school is safe.

17 are dead after devastating school shooting

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief February 15, 2018

On February 14th at 2pm, a shooting began inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. It is believed to be the deadliest shooting in Broward County. Broward County, which is located in Parkland, Florida,...

Continue Reading
Wrestlers prepare to take on teams during the state tournament.

JV Wrestling prepares for state tournament

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief February 9, 2018

JV Wrestlers appeared confident and excited as they prepared for the upcoming state tournament. The tournament took place on February 8th, 9th, and 10th. Six students: Charles Ranta, Ian Hunt, Austin Riner,...

Continue Reading
The show ends with the cast singing Part of Your World.

The Little Mermaid makes a splash

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief February 2, 2018

Troupe 5362 roused laughter from the audience during its performance of “The Little Mermaid Jr”, a show based on the novel by Hans Christian Andersen and the Disney movie adaptation....

Continue Reading
Sydney Wallace and Tyler Meersman walk across the stage. Sydney wears a fitted, ivory lace dress.

Walking down the runway at the DECA Prom Fashion Show

Alyssa Freyman, Editor-in-chief January 24, 2018

RSVP Prom Pageant and the Tuxedo Wearhouse sponsored this year's Prom Fashion Show. Fairytale dresses, two-piece dresses, and illusion dresses are in this season for Prom, according to the show. Other...

Continue Reading