The upcoming of mask fashion

Chris Bunker

Unique patterns. Cody Strozensky, a student at South Forsyth High School, wears a black uniquely patterned mask with a dark hoodie. With the pandemic, students have been seen with some pretty unique and colorful masks.

Brooke Eldridge, Opinions and Arts and Entertainment Editor

Coronavirus has caused so much grief, loneliness and fear for so many people. Having the constant worry of contracting the virus or giving it to others can be mentally draining. However, If everyone participates, safety can be easily obtained by exercising the CDC guidelines to stop the spread. One of the most important protocols to ensure safety for everyone is wearing a mask. Worldwide, countries have implemented mask mandates to protect people from COVID-19, and it’s become increasingly popular to incorporate fashion with mask-wearing.

Having to wear masks for long periods of time can be difficult. According to an analysis done by the data intelligence company Morning Consult, 13% of non-mask wearers said masks were uncomfortable. This is why incorporating fashion into mask-wearing can help alleviate the thought of COVID-19, and validate the feeling of confidence and comfort. A senior at South Forsyth High School, William Forney, expressed his feelings about masks and how his confidence has risen. “I personally love masks,” he says, “I don’t have to worry about how I look.” Impressionable fashion could even influence other people to be interested in the concept of mask-coordinating and make it more enjoyable for others to wear a mask and style them with outfits. 

Mask fashion. This is a part of my mask collection that I continue to grow because the amount of different colors and patterns to choose from gets me excited about collecting. Etsy, the website I got all my masks from, is a very popular site people have used to find masks. (Brooke Eldridge)

As someone who has always enjoyed fashion and color-coordinating my outfits, having an extra set of clothing that I can experiment with satisfies my creative heart. So how do we know where to get fashionable mask options? There are some amazing places that provide affordable and well-made masks; however, it’s important to note that some masks aren’t as effective as others. For example, using a bandana or a neck fleece as a mask is almost worse than wearing no mask at all, so it’s really important to do research to find the best masks to maintain a safe environment. With this in mind, it’s easy to be given a lot of safe options because almost all stores sell masks. If looking for more handmade options, Etsy is an amazing website to find small business creators who make high-quality and effective masks for good prices. This site is where I got my entire mask collection with unique patterns and soft material.

View this post on Instagram

⚔️ #VMAs 💓

A post shared by Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) on

With the multitude of mask options that are out there, it’s easy to find high quality, protective masks that also incorporate unique, fun patterns and colors. Many famous artists, including Lady Gaga, have gone above and beyond with their use of mask fashion. To see this crazy manipulation of masks excites people and creates an impact that sticks. “Lady Gaga has always been an artist who is very expressive,” William Forney explains her impact on him. “She makes me want to be more expressive like her, and I can be through mask fashion.”

While mask fashion is fun to shop for and experiment with, maintaining safety with social distancing, high-quality masks, and continuous hand washing is the number one priority that needs to be remembered. Connecting fashion with protection is what’s important, while also continuing to have fun by researching and matching!