Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Point Counterpoint: Extravagant promposals are not worth the expense

Jared Honey poses for a picture with his date to prom, Hannah Hausler. He asked her on her birthday, which made the day extra special to remember. The two have been dating for a year and are excited to go to prom together for the second time.

Photo provided by Hannah Hausler

Photo provided by Hannah Hausler

In 2001, the first promposal was recorded. Two students had asked girls to prom over the school loudspeaker while singing an edited version of “The Wedding Singer”. Since then, promposals became the popular way to ask other people to prom. Promposals have become more extravagant since 2001. Rose petals, billboards, and announcements made by airplanes have all been themes of recent promposals. Nearly two decades after the first promposal, many students wonder about what happened to a simple invitation to prom.

Although promposals can be flattering, they can also make shy people feel uncomfortable. A guy or girl who works tirelessly to make a proposal perfect can intimidate the individual being asked and force them to accept the invitation to avoid an awkward situation. 45% of students surveyed said that they would feel obligated to say yes to a big promposal, while 20% said they would not.

Jared Honey, a well-known senior football player, planned a promposal for his girlfriend, Hannah Hausler. He wrote on a poster “Hannah, you are beautiful and Honey is sweet. Together, Prom part 2 would be quite a treat.” Although this promposal was not effort intensive, it made Hannah’s day extra special. “I think it’s more sentimental and more from the heart than by buying or doing something really extravagant for somebody,” said senior Hannah Hausler, “I liked it more.”

This was the effect Jared was hoping his promposal would have on Hannah. “I thought it would be a good idea. I had the thought in mind, and I’m a real punny guy. I can make good puns and I do have artistic ability so I thought I could write it out and do something cute for her,” said senior Jared Honey. “We’ve been dating for over a year, so I didn’t think doing something too big would be truly necessary. I thought she would appreciate the poster since it was her birthday, so it’s something she could hold onto forever.”

Promposals can also be expensive. In a survey taken in 2016 by Seventeen magazine, “Northeastern families will spend an average of $431 on promposals […], Western families will spend an average of $342 on promposals […], Southern families will spend an average of $305 on promposals […], and Midwestern families will spend an average of $218 on promposals.” That doesn’t include the cost of prom night. Students may encounter the uncertainty of spending so much money when there is a possibility that the person may refuse. One boyfriend surprised his girlfriend with a trip to Hawaii, on the condition that she said yes. That trip cost the boyfriend thousands of dollars for a date to prom. Expensive promposals don’t always end happily ever after. One New Jersey teen asked a girl to prom during a track meet. She had to reject him in front of the entire school because she already had a date to Prom. If you are considering a promposal, do it in a private, or someplace where that special someone will not feel obligated to say “yes”. Take it from Daniel Peta, a YouTuber who set up signs along a roadway and drove his girlfriend by them. The girlfriend said she felt that it was a dumb way to ask someone to prom, but then quickly apologized when she realized the promposal was meant for her. A poster with a cute pun will set you back $5; not bad considering the alternative. A cheaper option is to spell out “Prom?” in food. Your date will have a cute promposal to remember and it will function as a tasty snack for you both to share. The more creative your promposal is, and the more sound it is for your wallet, the better.

I am not saying that I’m against the idea of a promposal. Promposals are a great way to ask someone to prom. It’s only the flamboyant ones that I’m against. Promposals have become commercialized on social media, which pressures people into doing something huge to impress their prospective crush. 80% of those surveyed at South said they would prefer a small promposal instead of a complex one. So remember, small promposals can be just as memorable as extravagant and expensive ones.