Eagles support Eagles: South wears MSD colors in act of solidarity

We are standing up for something of importance in hopes that this never happens again.

— Reagan Skyes

Silver and burgundy – the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School colors.  These are the colors South students wear two weeks after the tragic shooting that took the lives of seventeen students and staff in Parkland, Fl.  Silver and burgundy – not the normal colors of mourning, but these are the colors the SFHS student body wears to support the Marjory Stoneman Douglas students as they return to school today. Silver and Burgundy – the colors South wears in solidarity, as they reflect upon the loss that has occurred and upon the hope for change.

“I think it’s important for us to show support as a campus because its reflection of our remembrance and support,” said freshman Elle Johnston.

In response to a national movement of support and condolence, South Forsyth students work silver and burgundy today. Students, faculty and staff filled the school with Parkland colors gathered in the dining hall to take a picture for Twitter.

“The colors represent compassion and grievance towards the innocent victims of the shooting, senior Easha Tadvai said. “It was an act of mourning and remembrance.”

This simple act of solidarity is one of many that young people all over the country have participated in, not only to show sympathy for the MSD students, but also to promote awareness as well as the need for change.  

“We have to be careful and mindful of the lives lost,” sophomore Reagan Skyes said. “We are standing up for something of importance in hopes that this never happens again.”