Celebrities will be possible 2020 candidates

Photo used with permission from Creative Commons.

The start of 2018 has led to many new rumors about celebrities who may participate in the future 2020 election, but most of this gossip has been proven to be untrue. The drama created by many celebrities has stirred the political landscape. Many have speculated whether or not a celebrity is the best fit for someone in political office. 

For the most part, many of the possible presidential celebrity candidates have denied that they would ever consider themselves for that position. A good example of this is Oprah Winfrey who aroused suspicion on social media about whether she was preparing to run for president or not. The speculation began at the Golden Globes award show after she gave a powerful speech that touched millions of listeners. Even President Trump welcomed Oprah as his next presidential rival.

There are many other celebrities who have been wrapped up in this debate: Kanye West, Chris Rock, Katy Perry, and Dwayne Johnson. These celebrities would be very popular with millennial voters since they are constantly updating their fans about their lives and daily whereabouts. 

“The benefits would be that we already know everything about them,” junior Anna Hall said.

Many supporters of these future celebrity politicians appreciate that they have had knowledge in business and dealing with money. Supporters may also argue that celebrities know exactly what the citizens of America want. As celebrities, many are perceived as positive figures who outshine the rest in society.

“I think the obvious advantage is that they’re better at communication,” senior Davis Street said.

Celebrities have the advantage of knowing how to perform a role. They are expressive and extroverted, and excel during performances. Many are narcissistic, however, which means they may experience difficulty accepting a world’s worth of criticism and pressure. Yet, these characteristics don’t compare to the real thing.

“I don’t think celebrities should be presidents because they don’t specialize in government issues,” sophomore Rachel Atkeison said. “They specialize in social issues and that’s not always what’s best for the country.”

Presidential candidate eligibility only requires each candidate to be at least 35 years of age and to have been a legal US citizen for at least 14 years.

There’s nothing written in the Constitution that requires a man or woman running for a role in government to be an experienced politician. Many people now seem to think that they can be President without experiencing proper training.

“They shouldn’t do it because they haven’t had the experience whatsoever in politics,” freshman Ressa Krosner said.

There is still a lot of time that must pass before the presidential election in 2020, which means these opinions and debates will fluctuate. Celebrities may announce their campaigns,while others are likely to deny such an ambition. Certainly this is an important topic to research further, but it is important to recognize biases and remain informed about all developments.