Club Profile: Black Student Union

The Black Student Union discussing topics of the local black community with a guest speaker. Photo used with permission from the Black Student Union.

Elijah Cho, Opinions Section Editor

Number of Members: About 20-30 members; number continually varies.

Date of Meetings: Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday in Mrs. Bergdahl’s Room (Rm. 486); from 7:45-8:15 before school begins.

Leaders: Taylor Davis and Camryn Samuel

Club Sponsor: Mrs. Bergdahl

Achievements:

• The first chapter of Northern Georgia to start a BSU.

Requirements: Only a $15 fee is required to pay for tickets, travel fees, and other expenses.

Description: Founded by Camryn Samuel in August of last year, the Black Student Union represents people of color within the school and our local area. During each meeting, they discuss different topics about the general black community, with interactive activities such as Kahoot! and other games. Currently, the BSU plans to do Battle of the Bands on January 17. They have many other activities planned as well, such as the Clothing and Supply Drive, but none of these have been made official just yet. The BSU caters to students that feel intimidated at school, and who do not feel comfortable to speak about controversial topics in class. Anyone who wishes to speak their mind or help the Black Student Union are welcome. The club is very inclusive and invites other people without an African American background to join in the conversation.