Transitioning time is extended to accommodate the student body

The+students+above+are+transitioning+from+5th+to+6th+period+along+the+1300%27s+hall.+Many+must+walk+for+several+minutes+in+order+to+reach+their+final+destinations+across+campus.+
The students above are transitioning from 5th to 6th period along the 1300's hall. Many must walk for several minutes in order to reach their final destinations across campus.

Will Logsdon

Will Logsdon

Will Logsdon, Senior Editor

After a week long break for Thanksgiving, students returned to South on Monday morning to learn that a new bell schedule had been implemented which increased the transition time from four to seven minutes. This change was well received by many students and staff who had felt rushed for time during  passing periods. The school’s campus is so expansive and crowded that four minutes was too short for most students moving at a healthy speed to reach their destination before the late bell had rung. Shorter passing periods were originally introduced in order to accommodate students during school construction. “We [had] changed it back to what it had been prior to the construction period,” said Vice-Principal Carrie MacAllaster. For a regular seven period day, first, second, third, and sixth periods have been reduced by 2 minutes. Fourth period was reduced by nine minutes, seventh period by one minute, while fifth period remained unchanged. Block days have been only slightly affected by the change because of fewer class changes on those days.

“Class periods are long enough per all state and local guidelines,” said MacAllaster. “The administration as a whole discussed and worked on the change.”

MacAllaster sent an email to teachers stating that the longer passing period meant “students should be able to traverse campus within the seven minutes allotted”. Teachers have been instructed that “it is very important that you count a student tardy if they are not in your room by the bell.”

Students rejoiced when they learned that an additional three minutes had been added to every passing period. Senior Izzy Parker said, “I like how we have a longer passing period, because it feels much less rushed. I have enough time to get where I need to be, and we are able to start on time as an entire class.”

MacAllaster said, “We wanted to preserve uninterrupted instructional time within the classroom. Extending the passing period allows this to occur because the time frame is the same for everyone and there is not a need for a grace period to be given for students traveling from the Mod-Pods to the 1300’s hall.”

This new resolution will be implemented for the remainder of the school year. Next year, after overcrowding is reduced and Denmark High School opens, the passing period will still remain unaffected. A decision has not yet been made about whether all current Mod Pods will stay on campus, and Administration is not sure how many students will be attending South in the fall of 2018.