Receiving threats at Etowah high school

Etowah high school received threats from two identified students on October 26th, sparking panic in staff, students, and security at all Forsyth schools.

Brittany Rodi, Photography/Design Section Editor

On Thursday October 26, three students at Etowah county high school posted threats to the school via social media for reasons that are at this time unknown. This caused panic at the school in Cherokee County and an increased police force was implemented at a number of nearby high schools. It also lead to the arrest of Victoria McCurley and Alfred Dupree and both of their houses were searched. 

After their residences were searched, police discovered that the threats were legitimate since they located homemade incendiary device, and diaries/journals listing names of potential targets. The device found in one of the two student’s houses appeared to be flammable and partially consisted of an undetermined powder substance that was further investigated. As of now, Deupree and McCurley, both 17, are being tried as adults for a number of charges that include “attempt to commit murder, terroristic threats and acts, criminal attempt to commit arson, and possession and/or transportation of a destructive device/explosive with intent to kill, injure or destroy any public building”, according to Fox News. The pair appeared before a judge at the Cherokee County Adult Detention Center where it was decided that they would both be held without bond until trial. To calm the panic at Etowah high school, an email from the principal was sent out to students and parents which stated that there were no active threats to Etowah. 

Dear Parents/Students:

This is to advise that the Cherokee County School District (CCSD) Police Department and Cherokee Sheriff’s Office were notified by a community member of a potential threat on Etowah HS. Immediate action and investigation began, and, as a result, two students are currently in custody. At this time there are no other suspects and no active threat against Etowah HS.

The safety and security of all students and staff members is of utmost importance and CCSD will continue to partner with the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office throughout the conclusion of the investigation to insure that this is the case. I will continue to keep you in the loop in this regard. Any threat on school safety/security will not be tolerated and as such these students will also face severe disciplinary action, as well as any applicable criminal charges.

Respectfully,

Robert Horn EHS Principal

Cherokee County School District

Even though this letter was written to reassure parents and students of their safety at Etowah high school, 29% of the student body did not show up to school. 

On October 27th, the police presence was increased at South. 

“There is more security because of what happened in Cherokee County. We are just being overly cautious.”

— Scott Morlane (Administrator)

When questioned if these events signified any danger to South, Vice Principal P. Scott Morlanne responded that no threats against South Forsyth had been received.